Under-powered

houseape1000

Problem - the bike seems under-powered, especially when you compare it to my brothers cota 315R, I am not sure if this is usual cos I didn't expect there to be so much difference between two 250 2strokes.

Perhaps reeds or maybe something else.....

Any comments gratefully received.

The difference is on his bike just tottering round then wind it up - front end skyward.

On my bike, I have to work it hard to get same result. I only go out for couple of hours and look like I've run a marathon.......in the rain.

What I'm saying is, should the power difference be expected or is there something wrong.....can this only be rectified by buying a newer bike.

It's most likely delivery rather than outright power. A 'gentle' delivery is a deliberate feature that makes the bike easier to ride when grip is a premium (softer delivery off the bottom end makes it less prone to suddenly losing traction).

My mate's 315R is also fierce and is a lot harder to ride until you get used to it. As regards lofting the front; work on your technique. Get your weight moving backwards as you wind the power on. You'll then be able to lift the front without risking spinning up.

It may be you need to get used to it (assuming there isn't actually something wrong), or that you're style isn't best suited to soft power.

Graham

Gday, clean the exhaust out from front to rear. It will make a huge difference.

Cheers,

Stork

I cleaned the rear silencer and repacked, only 5 hours use since.

Do you have any advice on how to clean the front section. I was going to cut it open and clean it out but I'm not sure if the packing will survive when welding it back up.

Im the gaffer at a welding and fabrication workshop so doing the job poses no real problems, just not sure I like the idea of burning the crud out - seems a bit ''gung - ho''.

Gday, have a look up the end of the engine pipe first - thats a good way to see if it needs it. Any more than a very thin layer of carbon and it needs doing. If its alloy burning it may well be the easiest way. I use a cold parts cleaner that doesn't hurt metals. If its steel get it hot tanked at your local automotive machinist place. Or cut it open - that will be the most effective way to do the job.

Cheers,

Stork