08 Rev4 Gearbox Oil

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. Just bought an 08 Rev4. Seen a few threads on this site about gearbox oil. What is the concensus now as to what suits the bike best ? 15/50, 10/40, 10/50 ? Would appreciate your opinion as I like to buy 5 litres worth at a time to save cash and I don't want to buy the wrong one. regards. gareth

I think even Lampkins say that 10/40 is ok despite the manual recommending 15/50. I think this is down to ease of availability.

I personally use 15/50 and think my bike runs quieter perhaps because of the extra viscosity. I imagine the more viscous 15/50 is recommended because of the nature of competition bikes being revved hard (and hot) over prolonged periods and the extra protection this oil might afford.

Either way just make sure its FULL SYNTHETIC.

Edited by Fivemeister

• 2 weeks later...

What he said.

Oh and i guess you meant to say engine oil..... as the Rev4T does not have a separate gear oil.

The 15/50 makes the gear box shifter a little heavier. But you will get used to it. The bike is designed for 15/50 so that is what i use.

Fully Synthetic only!!!! .......15 hrs between changes, 800ml per change, oil filter every other change.