Welding

mudmonster

Hi,

I broke the exhaust bracket off the frame of my Fantic 200 (early model, rear kick start) and need to weld it back on. I tried several places locally, but no-one seems to have gas welding kit anymore so electric welding(mig or tig) seems the only option. I'm concerned about zapping the generator or electronics on my bike. Is it enough to disconnect the wiring, or do I need to remove everything to be on the safe side (I hope not, as I don't have a flywheel puller) Your advice please gents.

:) Welding the bracket back on with mig or tig should not fry your electrics if you disconnect the wires to the stator plate and any earth wires and make sure the chap who does it for you has earth lead off the welder as close to where he is welding as poss

You only do damage when you put the earth at one end of the bike and weld at the other hope this helps

:) Welding the bracket back on with mig or tig should not fry your electrics if you disconnect the wires to the stator plate and any earth wires and make sure the chap who does it for you has earth lead off the welder as close to where he is welding as poss

You only do damage when you put the earth at one end of the bike and weld at the other hope this helps

Correct. Unplug everything you can find and put the earth clamp as near as possible to the weld.

Also, be very careful with the fuel system!

I have just had the frame welded on my 1977 Sherpa with a MIG welder.

I asked if I needed to disconnect anything and the welder said no,it is not necessary.

Welding complete and the bike is still running perfectly.Completed a trial today with no problems.

Edited by davieboy