Primary Drive On B40

bobtlr

Hey,

what size of sprockets should be on the primary drive of a b 40 for trials use (it's the wd gearbox)?

on my bsa the chain is verry loose and the chain tensioner is fully in so i guess the chain is to long or the sprocket is to small?

can you get the chains in different sizes? or can you just take a link out the chain?

regards bob

The normal engine sprocket for trials use is 18 teeth and yes you can remove some links if the chain is too long. If you don't have the device for breaking chains then you can grind back the rivetted end of the pins on one link and knock them out with a punch. If your current chain is does not have a joining link then you will need to buy one.

• 3 weeks later...

Standard set up for the B40 would have been as mentioned earlier 52T clutchwheel- 23 front sprocket and 70 link duplex chain

The trails dropped it to 52T - 18 and a 68 link duplex chain

The b44/50 with more grunt went the other way and had 52T - 28 and a 72 link chain

At the moment I am machining a compromise front sprocket of 26 teeth for road use as the 23 still low and limited. I think then I will be at the limits of the adjustment of the 72 link chain which fits the 28.

As pat says with chain available for 20 or so it pays to replace it. I have a stator and rotor that look as if the chain snap at some stage broke either the crankpin or the gearshaft on the primary side.