Model 91 Starting Problems - Update

rogerb

Group: Members

Member No.: 9582

Bike: Bultaco Sherpa

Hi All

Since my last post I re-assembled the carb after checking all jets and passages were clear.

Also float and needle valve looked OK.

I managed to fire the bike a couple of times then the engine died on me.

Found the HT coil lead to spark plug was broken so bought a full electronic ignition

from Bultaco UK rather than mess around changing points and condenser etc.

Just fitted that and am getting a good spark but still engine won't fire.

I'm getting fuel seeping out around the tickler on the carb but the plug is dry??

Any suggestions?

Should I now check crankshaft seals and compression or concentrate on the carb?

Roger B

I have the same problem sometimes and I also don't know why the petrol doesn't get into the cumbustion chamber... Maybe I have to figure out if it will help to lean the bike sidewards with the tickler-hole upside, so that more petrol gets into the carb.

Did you tried to put a little amount of petrol in the motor through the sparkplug hole? This helps starting my engine, but of course it's annoying. Also checking ignition timing didn't solve my problems so that I think that the cause of this bad start behaviour is my old piston-cylinder with worn piston rings.

Do you know the condition of your piston/cylinder? If yours is worn out too, we probably have found the reason for our problems.

Bye, Felix

Edited by FSB

you've a big fat spark at the right time so the issue is fuel related whip the air filter off spray easy start in the thing and kick.. it should start on the easy start alone then get it running on the carb. worn pistons /rings will not stop it starting. my fantic when it first came had a lump missing from the rings and the barrell was so badly scored i could cut my nails on it.. and it ran .. and started easy