Engine Stall Txt 280

davet

Hi there,last time out i went onto reserve tank,filled the petrol tank today.put choke on to start engine,when choke turned off the engine does not tick over just cuts out.

repeated and twisted throttle a few times to warm engine ,but no tick over just peters out and stops ? can anybody explain what the problem might be ? i have taken fuel pipe off and petrol runs through and i switched petrol from reserve to on.

cheers Dave

Edited by davet

Hi there,last time out i went onto reserve tank,filled the petrol tank today.put choke on to start engine,when choke turned off the engine does not tick over just cuts out.

repeated and twisted throttle a few times to warm engine ,but no tick over just peters out and stops ? can anybody explain what the problem might be ? i have taken fuel pipe off and petrol runs through and i switched petrol from reserve to on.

cheers Dave

Sounds like a blocked pilot jet or something simple like the idle screw needs adjusting to set tick over. Has it cut out while on choke? if it has then maybe the needle valve is stuck and preventing fuel from entering the carb float chamber.

Thanks for you reply.excuse my ignorance where would i find the pilot jet ?

i have taken out the idle screw out and cleaned,but didnt take notice how many turns to take it out,is there a set method when replacing idle screw ?

cheers Dave

Thanks for you reply.excuse my ignorance where would i find the pilot jet ?

i have taken out the idle screw out and cleaned,but didnt take notice how many turns to take it out,is there a set method when replacing idle screw ?

cheers Dave

Did you do this after or before the fault ? The idle or slow running jet is in the carb at the side of the main jet, you may be able to see it after removing the float bowl drain bung if not the bowl will have to be removed. As for the idle screw are sure its not the mixture screw? Mixture screw has a spring on it, start by turning it fully in until liightly seated then turn it out 2.5 turns this will give you starting point once its idling try small adjustments in or out on this screw to give it a smoother idle. dont dismiss it being a sprk plug problem either a rich mixture (choke on) will hide the fact that the spark is weak.

i would say you have answered your own question kind of.

You say ran on reserve which mean s you have probably pulled all kinds of ****e out of tank into your engine.

Take your carb off and clean it out.

setting fuel screw as per previous posts. mine is 3.5 turns if this helps.

good look.