Evo Compression Leg Fork Cap Leaks Oil

liviob

I have a 09 290 Evo, and have a small annoyance with the compression leg fork cap leaking oil through the threads of the preload adjuster. Hopefully this part is just missing an o-ring. I tried to dissasemble the fork cap to inspect it but i couldnt get the circlip removed to dissasemble it. Oh, somthing else that i noticed is that the fork spring compression adjuster adjusts itself loose by a 1/4 turn every ride. I guess there's not enough friction built into the adjuster. So have any of you noticed this and fixed it or is it just going to be a quirk of the bike?

Edited by Liviob

I have mentioned it to him and he said his did the same thing, but he didnt mention a fix. I have to admit it is a bit of a nuesance to an otherwise great bike. Oh, somthing else that i noticed is that the fork spring compression adjuster adjusts itself loose by a 1/4 turn every ride. I guess there's not enough friction built into the adjuster. It would sure be great if there is an updated fork cap to fix these issues.

Beta buy these forks already built up. I'm picking that you have a pair of forks built on a Friday at 4:45..... someone has forgotten to put in all the parts. There won't be a "factory" fix.

Just take them apart and have a look at things..... O-ring missing on the oil leak side, and a washer between the spring and the compression adjuster.

Yeah Ralphy, they could be friday forks, LOL. If no one has a better solution than takin it apart I'll have to be a little more industrius about gettin it apart. I dont think that circlip should be too difficult to get out , but it was being difficult, and i was concerned that i might slip and damage the threads inside the cap. or worse yet jab the really sharp thingy i was using into my hand.

Edited by Liviob

Well the clip looks like a clip that holds a piston wrist pin in . It's just a small diameter piece of wire, and unfortunitly the ends of the wire are flat. So it's not very easy to get the sharp thingy to get ahold of it. I'll try again today or tomarrow.

I was able to get the circlip out today and there is a flat side to it. I also discovered that there is an oring built into the fork cap. So i dunno about this. Maybe if it continues to be a leaky problem, i may try a larger diameter oring.