Sherpa Engine Number

myson

Hi this is my first post so please be gentle, I have just aquired a 250T. The engine No is M-8001227 I looked this up it says its a"CAMPION" What does this mean. Last Bulto I rode was about 30 years ago and it belonged to Steve "Butch" Robson if any one remembers him. I want to rebuild this to as near factory spec as I can so any help would be appreciated,

Cheers

Edited by myson

As already posted it is the first of the slimline sherpa's. I had one for about 4 years. I liked how it handled and the engine was excellent. It has a few draw backs. The brakes on mine never worked very well. I put new shoes in, thoroughly cleaned the drums and made sure they were true but they still didn't work very well. The frame geometry is great but is on the heavy side. The later model slimline (M124, M125) was made from chromoly and is much lighter. The rear triangular muffler on these bikes is usually missing. Most people either took them off right away and promptly lost them or got thrown away. Consequently now they are very rare. They do come up for sale on ebay once and awhile but never go for less than 150 bucks. Not having one doesn't detract from how the bike runs. It actually will run better without it. A properly packed front muffler and the M80 sounds great. Having said all this I believe that this is an excellent classic bike and in classic trials it will perform very well. As with all Bultacos it is critical that they have properly timed spark, good primary and secondary compression, and a carburetor that is functioning properly. The Amal carbs on these wear out in about 4 rides. So when refurbishing the bike make sure you put at the very least a new slide, new needle, needle jet and gasket kit in the carb. I see more questions on classic bultaco forums about poor running bikes and the carb is always overlooked. Anyway good luck with your bike. Ask as many questions as you like there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum.

Steve

BultacoSteve, could you explain the difference between primary and secondary compression? I have never heard the terms primary and secondary used to describe compression. Crankcase vs. cylinder perhaps? Also will a leak down test be the best method for testing or a regular compression tester? Thanks, Fergie.

Edited by fergie

Yes I am refering to crankcsae vs cylinder compression. Bultaco crank seals can go bad as well as cylinder base gaskets. Both are very easy to change and should be done on any recently purchased bike that hasn't run in a few years. I have found that the carb manifold can also leak. Air leaks even slight can cause major running issues on these bikes.

Steve