Trials Holiday

chewy

Just got back from yet another superb classic French trial and thought some folks might enjoy a brief report. There is a club in department 12 in France (google moto club 12) who run two classic trials every year one 4 days in May and one3 days in November. This was the third time we have been in Autumn and it really is a classic. Three days c. 230 kilometers of interzone (between sections) and 48 sections (each with 4 routes), time control , parc ferm, and last but not least compulsory 1 hour lunch stop every day with minimum 3 course meal with wine included in the entry. We arrived in Entraygues sur Truyere on the Friday evening set up camp ( motorhomes) raining and cold bad forecast for trial also. Saturday we got bikes out and fiddled with them untill mid afternoon when we went to sighn on and get scrutineered etc. All our papers were in order you need to produce driving licence, road insurance, log book, competition licence, Steve Brian and me decided to ride S3 instead of gentlemen route so I had to negotiate this change; very few people speak english so it's good fun getting that sorted. Then we took bikes for scrutineering.. main concerns apart from obvious like brakes etc. is that you must have working lights and kill button also a tooth protector on handlebars. Janets helmet didn't get a pass, all helmets are checked and must have an eu aproval label usually stiched to chin strap, as it was in good condition Hebo the guy accepted my true story that it was bought in UK 2 years ago. Riding nos. on bikes we put them into parc ferm ready for Sunday start and got invited with some Andorran friends to dine in thier hotel excellent food. Sunday ..our start time was 0940 and it was pouring with rain lots of atmospere as we que'd for time control and punch cards. Once we were away I tucked in behind Janet on the interzone , she is slow but sure which compromised my time inspecting the sections which definitly needed a bit of respect mostly big lumps of granite rocks wet but not slippy. As usual we just keept on trundling round, the tracks were very slippy and invariably narrow on side of mountain type. Lunch stop came and went and it was back to head down trialing for another 3 hours. Janet & I clocked in with 2 minutes spare got our fettling time slips and went to van for nice cuppa no problems with either bike so just quick adjust and lube and go back to parc ferm with them. Having got bikes in I discovered that Brian was missing in action and shortly we got news that along with five others he had injured himself on interzone. After a long wait in the continuing rain Ihad to go with Brian in ambulance to Rodez hospital 58 k's away wet boots and all. We spent all night in hospital as some of the guys were hurt worse than Brian and it turned out after chatting to the other guys for a while that one of them was no less than 3 times world champ Ediie Lejeun..he had a broken collarbone too by time we had all compared x rays and got treatment it meant arriving back to bed having had no food or drink at 0130. Monday, got to start line by 0815 for 0817 start 90 k's of interzone today so time is tight not raining but cold ..perfick..I had a right grumpy morning just not on form but was better after lunch only to get rear puncture along with Craig (another mate) which put pressure on. Janet thought I'd gone on to try to keep air in tyre and I overinflated it in order to finish without it going down again before getting to finish. We had crazy situation of me trying to catch her and her trying to catch me... Craigs tyre came off the rim after about 15 k's so I left him flahing a tube as I was worried for Janet, one guy had gone off the track, lost his bike over a 30 mtr cliff into a lake , punctured his cheek with a branch..so all in all a chaotic day, got in on time only a slightly bent clutch lever. Eddy ( my best mate by now) was watching at the last section .zone artificial in town centre.. thoughtlessly I made him shake hands as is the customary greeting in Europe... realised it was the bad arm/collarbone when he winced....made a good job of cleaning it .well you have to when the stars are looking on eh?...same routine after.. fettle , cuppa parc ferm feed sleep.. ( the feeding bit always seems to turn into a party for some reason!).Teusday lovely lie in we are last round today 1040 start bit of sun still cold.. sections a bit stiffer today and a little worn out (all the lines had been used to death) but we now have a nice routine of riding to each others strengths and weaknesses. said goodby to lots of old friends who were leaving straight after finishing at lunch and suddenly remembered the interzone to come (they always keep the best for last!) Craig got a bit tired and had a couple of crashes knocking the bike about a bit, the sections always seem harder when you'r tired I took a tactical 5 on one which had a fearsome slippy drop off.. my arms were knackered so it would only have resulted in tears. Quick wash bikes and selves and off to the remis de prix (prizegiving) lots of speeches 8 mayors, 40 officials and c 30 landowners to thank. Janet made podium she came sacond to Uta Kramer (Iris's sister) Iris had a nice black eye from a crash. We then had a nice free drink and cake and said cheerio to all our good friends there. The trial really is what it say's on the box Discovery,(fantastic beutifull scenery) Conviviality(everybody is really friendly),Gastonomie,(3 course lunches) and competition (from the likes of Christophe Brouand right down to old codgers like me and of course Rene Montiel 73 years young and still riding). It's an expensive outing but after 40 odd years of riding locally and around UK it really makes a nice change to do something a little different.

Good report mucker, I'll back you up on that, a brilliant event, suitable for all levels. I got round on a '94 Mont 314, anyone that knows me will testify to my non-ability! Mont was grippy as hell till it came on the pipe, it then took off enduro-stylee, great fun.

Definatly worth the effort of going if events like the SSDT are beyond you, Chewy's report says it all, photo of him in action

post-495-1258485875.jpg

Edited by craig10