Royal Enfield Magneto Troubles+model Type?

dave dix

Hi, anyone know which lucas model a 1953/4 redditch 350 bullet would use as my mag has no identity on it but i,m sure its lucas without the dynamo attached. Basically it has a fat blue spark and runs fine with a nice low tickover but when its hot the spark dissapears and re-appears at will and this is rather annoying (also sounds expensive ) .

Its an anti-clockwise mag, also when the engine is running you cannot see an sparks on the points at all, is this normal?

cheers

Dave

I think the Bullet model you refer (I presume it is the 346cc Trials model) was fitted with a Lucas racing magneto, to be later upgraded by the Lucas Wader(water proof) magneto on the Trials Works Replica model from around 1958 - I owned a W.R. circa 1960. Fom your desccription, your loss of sparks when hot would indicate the magneto HT coil is likely breaking down when it gets a heat soak, these HT coils can usually be rewound successfully and become very reliable. When the magneto is running with no sparking across the contact breaker points, this is a good sign all is well that end of the magneto. Try Hitchcocks of Solihull they are the R.E. experts and would be able to give you the magneto info, etc, you require. Hope this helps. Brian H

I would say that sounds about right, mag goes off when hot, needs rewinding. It is expensive but done properly bike wil run and run! It was definately a Lucas Racing or Competition Magneto OEM fit on Royal Enfields.

Stuart Towner at Chessington, I can highly recommend as I have used his reconditioning services for Lucas Racing Magnetos without problems on three different machines of mine.

Stuart can be contacted on 0208 397 6599. He's normally quite busy and there is a queue!

Big John

Thanks Brian and John for your reply,s and for Stuarts phone number. I have just got home and went outside and it started first kick and rev,s cleanly so its bloody annoying that it breaks down when hot but thats british!!!!!! at least i know it will be fine after a mag re-build

Dave

Had all those problems on my 1960 Don Morley Bullet. Sent it to Dave Lindley (number and address available from Hitchcocks) You will need the extractor tool from Hitchcocks, the only model reference on the top is on the green badge "Lucas Racing Mag"...... when you get it off it will say HR1 on the underside, Dave has all the parts and should cost about 200 quid with the new platinum points (mine had 1 plat, 1 tungsten!)....... remember these mags won't run on the new HT leads either, needs the old copper core. All the stories on my blog under "Prince of Darkness" and "Dim & Dimmer" Good luck.

Tony

Not quite sure when someone suggested Not Ron. I have little or no knowledge of Enfields if it was me you meant, but I will be at the Thumpers trial on Sunday near within 25 miles of Chelmsford if I can help Dave Dix.

I may have got it wrong, but do you not ride a rigid Norton ?

Thanks N/R and i would have been at the trial but i,m in Paris this weekend,

Does anyone know whether i can use a clockwise mag on my anti-clockwise mag bike as my one sparks either way so all i need to do is change the end plate with the manual advance on it or use the other mag armature or are the end threads l/h thread on clockwise and r/h on anti (mine is r/h thread). Armature number is 464205

Just trying to think of a cheaper alternative!!!!

Dave

B40RT, yes the Norton and I have toured the Scottish Highlands together for the last 20 years or so, did I talk to you at Bilsdale this year, when I was not on the Norton.

I commented on the ease with which you started the Norton at one of the pre65's, and you gave me a very informed explanation regarding the setting up of the mag.