Jetting For Evo

spark

Hey, my mate has just acquired an Evo 290 and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the recommended jetting would be at coastline altitude? At the moment he has a 48 pilot jet and a 110 main. He is worried it may be a bit lean as the bike came from a higher altitude inland, although it was supposedly rejetted for coastline altitude.

Thanks!

My 290 came stock with a 48 pilot, 3.5 slide, needle is stock in the 5th clip position, 125 main. I rode it at sea level with this setup and the motor ran fine. At altitude i raised the clip to 4th position.

Edited by Liviob

You failed to mention your airscrew position, As most of the Kiehins seem to like around a 45-42 on the pilot jet to stat in a more accepptable range on the needle.

1/2- 1-1/2 would be the preferred range on the airscrew, and if you are well over that to get good idle, you may want to consider a change on the pilot jet in order to achieve a smoother transition to the needle as things could get a bit rich in the transition range with the 48.

A 125 on the main is a good start, if it runs out well, yet you may need a bit leaner if it does not clean out well.

This is generic, as your mileage may vary! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

I would have to go look to be certain , but i think my airscrew is set at 2-2 1/2 turns out. When i first got my 290 i started fidling with the jetting and i tried a smaller #45 pilot because of my air screw setting and i lost a little torque. So i put the 48 back in. I even tried a smaller main and the motor slowed up on its rev while climbing a grade at wot. So i put the #125 main back in. I found i only needed to adjust the needle to the 4th clip and i think it could be left in the 5th clip and be fine from sea level to where i ride at 9000'.

I just rememberd that when the dealer and i set up my bike he lowered the floats. I dont know how much. Maybe just a few millimeters. He did this to keep fuel from spilling out the overflow lines too easily.

Edited by Liviob