Its Stuck In First!

redneck

i had the shifter return spring break, and a couple other things that needed to be done, and now that the new spring is in the bike is stuck in first. i went to check and see how badly out of adjustment it was and it went in to first and now wont come out of first.

am i looking at a problem in the gear box?

Its probably a bent of broken pawl in the selector mechanism. Its a tiny part that you wouldn't believe was up to the job. They do break so the design tolerences are tight but not as often as you'd expect when you see it. It fairly easy and cheap to change if your comfortable working in the box if not take it to your dealer.

This is based on the same thing happening to me a few years back. There may be other opinions out there and if they are easier I try them first.

Go to www.gasgasuk.com/support.php download and open the 2007 part list (dont worry about the age at this stage all pros are the same) go to page 46 and view item 13 (2 off) on the diagram. These are very small and bend or break. Only one of yours is broken allowing you to change down up not up. If your going to change one I'd do both. As lineaway said you need to split the case. I thought I'd cover this by saying if you comfortable in the box go ahead if not take it to someone who is. Its not all that difficult but make sure you clearly identify all the parts as you take it apart. I got two thrust washer that I thought were the same mixed up and it didn't work. Three case opening later it turned out one was a few thou thicker than the other.

Good luck.