Honda Tlr Cam Chain Adjuster

tltel

I have just taken my tlr 200 top side cover off to invesigate a very niosey cam chain, the chain was very loose, so I had a look at the adjuster which doesnt seem to do any thing when you turn it or even completely remove it.

I assumed it would be the same as my TL125 but its not. I havent been able to remove the flywheel yet, as again its not the same as the tl so will have to get a removal bolt. (for the TL I always used a rear wheel spindle )

The adjster moves up and down if you push it with your finger and does make the chain go tight if you pull the pin up but there is no way to hold it up.

Help!

The large nut you have removed from the crankcase top tightens up a wedge nipping the adjuster in position. The spring loaded flexi guide takes up the slack and the chain adjustment should be automatic when this nut is loosened.

If your adjuster is free to move up and down but won't tension the chain then it has reached the limit of it's travel because the chain is now too long due to wear or the fixed and flexi chain guides are worn or both!

Some people carry out the chain tensioning operation with the engine ticking over.

:D Thanks guys,

I managed to get the clymer manual and a flywheel removing bolt from the guy that I bought the bike from, it all makes sense now!

I have also got a new chain to fit just to play safe, the guides look ok. The book says to adjust the chain when egine is running, hopefully that will be done by the weekend.

Thanks again, TLTEL