Swm Cdi Unit

b40rt

Will the CDI from the CanAm motocross bikes fit the TL 320(might have to modify the flywheel somehow to make it work on a trials bike)? Seems like I remember almost all MX bikes had CDI by 1980, something from the 1975-77 CanAms should fit ,anyone checked this out? Did the SWM factory TL320's have CDI(I bet they did)? Jim B.

Edited by Virginiatrials

Will the CDI from the CanAm motocross bikes fit the TL 320(might have to modify the flywheel somehow to make it work on a trials bike)? Seems like I remember almost all MX bikes had CDI by 1980, something from the 1975-77 CanAms should fit ,anyone checked this out? Did the SWM factory TL320's have CDI(I bet they did)? Jim B.

Hi Jim

No it wont fit for several reasons.

1. Right side of the trials crank is about 2 inches longer than the mx/enduro

2. Stator plate for MX/enduro is mounted on the inside of flywheel cover.

3. The MX/enduro flywheels are about 40% of the size and weight of the trials version.

I am sure that if Mr Seales spots this thread he will chip in on his electronic ignition story.....he got one manufactured and reverted back to the standard points set up because it ran better.

Martin

Hi Jim

I dont know if they ever used them on the works bikes. The Aprilias were still using points ignitions on their air cooled bikes right up to 1989.

As for the works bikes....a friend of mine here in England has 2 of Bernie Schreibers works Jumbo' (both with points !). He kindly let me display one of them on my stand at the Malvern show a couple of years back me.jpg

As for Burgats bikes....his World Championship winning TL320 is displayed in Joel Corroys shop in France.

Martin