Undercut Log On Slope

mcman56

Does an undercut log on a slope (10 to 20 degrees) require a different technique than one on the flat? I struggle with one maybe 18" diameter several inches off the ground. Timing seems difficult and there is a tendency to touch the front wheel and get the bike very vertical. This just results in the bash plate sitting on the log. The odd thing is that bigger more undercut logs on the flat are not so difficult. Other people do not seem to have this same problem. I understand a Jap Zap may be the technique to use but am not that accurate with front wheel placement and stand a good chance of just stuffing the wheel into the bottom of the log. For that reason, the wheel hits the log on it's way up.

if i was to ride the same log as you described then i think that i would get the front wheel above the log when approaching it and fully compress the suspension + slip the clutch with revs on. i would then when the wheel over the top of the log release the clutch quickly as if you where splatting the log and at the same time un compress the suspension and lift the weight off the back wheel and try and bunny hop up and over the log.

a log as described with a ten to twenty degree slope wouldnt really require a different technique really but i think that you will find that it will be alot easier to master the technique on one on a slope that it would be the flat as the slope will help you to raise your back wheel off the floor as it sounds as if you are not getting any lift with the back wheel and this is why you are sumping out

Edited by coxy_gg

You actually answered your question. You have to be more perfect on your tire placement. Coxy`s comment will work well since the end result is getting the rear end over. It could be everyone you are watching is just using more momentum. Speed is always the easy way over anything. Practice the correct moves during practice, but momentum during the event is hard to beat as long as you can control it.