Insuring Your Trials Bike Thro Acu

stuartc

It's good that someone is considering competition machines in particular. Having said that, I'm not sure how much take up there will be, it's not cheap. And without too much take up it may not last.

Even with Datatag the price to insure a new bike for fire and theft only will be around

:o

Just been registering an off-road bike up here in Scotland, the DVLA are getting very suspicious of trials bikes being registered for road use. Apparently the bikes should be kitted out for proper use, no dip in the middle, a proper seat, number plate at 90 degrees to the roadway, the girl who was doing the inspection even mentioned the SSDT by name!!

Watch out guys, the end looks nigh for road based trials on modern bikes! I was flabberghasted with the officers' knowledge. She even asked me how much road use I would be doing on it.

Looks like the DVLA are getting up to speed with the construction and use act!

Don't say that Big John!! I'm in the process of getting my TY175 registerd for road use.

I'm planning to MOT over the Xmas break, I insured it today and I've also got the age cetification form off Yamaha UK.

The only thing that might throw a spanner in the works is the letter off Yamaha states:

May we confirm that the Chassis # 525-.......... relates to a 1976 Yamaha TY175 (all fine up to now, but then they put this little disclaimer)

"We must advise however that your machine was constructed for closed circuit competion use only and not for use on public roads.

The machine therefore does not comply with the Road Vechicle (Construction and Use) Regulations and the Road Vechicle Lighting Regulations that were applicable at the time of manufacture"

So, I'll have to go to the DVLA office armed with Daytime MOT, Insurance cert, and my best smile and just see how I get on :wall: .

Anybody else been through this recently??

Edited by Marky G

I road reg'd a Pinky TY 4 years ago with a dating letter from Yam UK with exactly the same disclaimer on it. Had to take it to the local DVLA office for inspection. I think the fact that it is MOT'd means that as far as the DVLA are concerned, the MOT tester is saying that it's in road legal trim (I did mine with a 'daytime only' MOT, no lights fitted).

As far as the modern bikes go, they must meet the Construction & Use regs, otherwise they wouldn't have the form (V55/5?) issued with them when they are sold to enable them to be reg'd / taxed. I got a modern road reg'd 2 years ago, they had a look at it, checked the no's etc, no mention of lights or no. plate brackets.

Maybe up in trials country they are more savvy when it comes to such things. Been wondering for a while when the Plod would start kicking off about visible no.plates at the Scottish, it's bound to happen sooner or later.