My Favorite Tool!

copemech

When it comes to necessities , Alot of the young techs always ask why is there a 6 inch vise bolted to the top of one of my old tool boxes , My reply is " I've only got two hands "

As to the most expensive single hand tool ... Has to be the Snap On Torque Multiplier I Bought in the late 70's for torqueing the flywheel nut on the early rotory engines (before they got the apex seals to work ...) One of the fun engines to rebuid , engine stand bolted to floor , engine bolted to stand , flywheel slid on crank and bolted to cases so it can't rotate while tightening big center nut and then apply about 600ft.lbs. of torque to the nut ... I paid just over 6k usd for that hand tool ... And it's one that never gets used at all anymore ....

But when I apprenticed on jags (started in '74 ) with a old limey ******* , who taught me three rules I still work by ...

1 , if you need to borrow a tool twice , you need to own it .

2 , it's a inanimate object , and you are smarter than it is !

3 , if some SOB designed it and built it , you can take it apart and fix it ...

And the fourth one I've added to my personal instructional repertoire ," The only stupid question is the one you were afraid to ask !!! "

Glenn

As to the most expensive single hand tool ... Has to be the Snap On Torque Multiplier I Bought in the late 70's ... I paid just over 6k usd for that hand tool ... And it's one that never gets used at all anymore ....

Try selling it on the antiques roadshow.......might be worth a bit....

I did buy and then sell a Rev3 fllywheel puller back in 2004. I needed the damned thing twice on the same bike within six trials :) , I was so hacked off with those stators (and a broken bone in my left foot from trying to start the dead thing :thumbup: ) that I sold the bike and swore that I would never own another Beta again and to back it up I sold the puller too.

A bit childish I know, and I probably will buy another Beta and one day I probably will need that puller again, but it's the only tool that I've ever sold.