Carb And Thermostat Help Please

matt132006

hi there i brought a beta 250 1997 model

i havent been out on it yet got a few little problems

1st 1 is i have clean the carb out with air line and carb cleaner and it runs fines with choke but does like ticking over with out it ,, if i turn it up it sound like it running lean to me ?

2nd is i was going to change the spark plug sliped and snaped the thermostat off ( it did work kick fan in and out ) will i be able to get a new 1 from beta? and what sort of price sould i be paying for 1 ?

sorry if i do not have the best spelling

thanks alot matt

No problem getting a thermoswitch. I think they've used the same one for 15 years. You'll have to call dealer for price. I suggest you get a MotionPro ratcheting spark plug wrench. Nice and thin and easy to get into the tiny space over the plug.

Sounds like you still have a blocked pilot jet. You really must disassemble the whole carb and blow out all the passageways as well as the jets. If you do it with the carb assembled you just blow dirt in deeper. Carb cleaner is OK but make sure it's dry before assembly. In other words use the carb cleaner THEN blow out the carb with compressed air.

Also look up the Billy Traynor carb setup article in these forums for how to set the floats on the Mikuni and how to keep it from piddling fuel all over the place.

No problem getting a thermoswitch. I think they've used the same one for 15 years. You'll have to call dealer for price. I suggest you get a MotionPro ratcheting spark plug wrench. Nice and thin and easy to get into the tiny space over the plug.

Sounds like you still have a blocked pilot jet. You really must disassemble the whole carb and blow out all the passageways as well as the jets. If you do it with the carb assembled you just blow dirt in deeper. Carb cleaner is OK but make sure it's dry before assembly. In other words use the carb cleaner THEN blow out the carb with compressed air.

Also look up the Billy Traynor carb setup article in these forums for how to set the floats on the Mikuni and how to keep it from piddling fuel all over the place.

hi thanks i rang beta up today they got me a thermoswitch in the post not sure how much it is yet .. and i cleaned the carb best i can im going to get sum carb clean soon and give it a good clean

thanks matt