Another Newbie

knucklehead

I am new to the trials scene, so I have some questions!

What brand of bike would you guys recommend for a starter? I have road dirt bikes for most of my life( I am 36), so I am not new to riding. Most of my riding has been done in the woods.

I don't have a trials dealer of any kind that is very close to me so that does not come into play. I am thinking that with the internet, and a parts manual, that parts availability should not be a issue.

Another question is tire pressure. I notice that in the videos and pics that I have watched, and looked at, all the bikes are running really low air pressure. I understand the reason why,just don't know how low do they go.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

Heath

I am in southern Illinois if anyone is interested in a possible riding buddy!

Edited by Knucklehead

I think there are a few riders up near you, would need to ck on the logistics of all that. Most anything can be had online quickly if there is no local dealer.

As far as tire pressures go, 3-5 in the rear, add 2-3 in the front all depending upon weight and conditions such as rock/mud/speed you are bashing things at!

Others(up north) may chime in here, you can probably find a decent late model 250 or so at a reasonable price as a good starter. The Scorpa/Yam is a good bike generally. Pick your poison here, but the bigger bikes may be great fun, but not conducive for learning trils skills on, too quick.

Cheers,

MC

Aaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhh - TYPO!!!!!!

Does indicate the fact that bike choice is a very individual thing though :-)

Nothing wrong with a Scorpa/ Yam, good build and smooth operator. Well supported over here by RYP and easier to find than most 250's. 250 Beta's or Gassers/ Sherco are more rare here,unless to get/ order a new one in. :o

Thanks for the input... I think if I could find someone to ride with it would really help to learn. Trials just does not seem to be a big interest inmy part of the world. Maybe I can change that! I am waiting on a settlement check( got a boo boo at work) to see what kind of funds I am going to have available for my new toy. I have been looking around to see what is out there and was looking for some experienced advise.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!! Heath

Check out Trials Inc as they have a number of events in the midwest. You might even find a riding buddy from So. Il. there. Also Little Egypt Off- Road, LEOR is in Marion and they have events pretty regularly. I would personally look at a 250 Beta. They have good resale, are very tough though a little heavy and a good novice bike to learn the basics on. MOTA and TI have an early joint trials in Northern Indiana in April. Watch schedules and US Trials and Previews for info. Welcome.