Possible Stator Problem? Thoughts Please

foulkesy

Finally narrowing down the problem with my Non Working Fan.

I have put the fan across a 12v supply and spins fine.

I have put a multimeter across the sender switch while in boiling water all OK.

I have checked the resistance through the voltage Regulator from yellow to blue and then connecting the 2 blues together simulating the fan switch on, there is a circuit from yellow to black on the fan multi plug withblack and red wires nothing on red, this i believe tells me that this critter is OK or is this not the case??

Now if this is the case, is it the windings on the charge circuit side of the stator? (Bike Runs Fine) If so where can I get it rewound in the UK or the price of new.

Patience is a Virtue or so I am told

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Finally narrowing down the problem with my Non Working Fan.

I have put the fan across a 12v supply and spins fine.

I have put a multimeter across the sender switch while in boiling water all OK.

I have checked the resistance through the voltage Regulator from yellow to blue and then connecting the 2 blues together simulating the fan switch on, there is a circuit from yellow to black on the fan multi plug withblack and red wires nothing on red, this i believe tells me that this critter is OK or is this not the case??

Now if this is the case, is it the windings on the charge circuit side of the stator? (Bike Runs Fine) If so where can I get it rewound in the UK or the price of new.

Patience is a Virtue or so I am told

Thanks in advance.

Dave

What perfect timing for your topic. I have an 01 Rev3 250 with a similar issue. The fan and the lights will not turn on. I will have to troubleshoot it the same way you did. What is the resistance value of the voltage regulator and the generator. Please let us know what you find and how you resolve the issue.

Livio

Edited by Liviob

I have a 2000 rev 3 and it was the regulator when I had the problem, much cheaper than a rewind :o

Thanks Kev, I have I believe checked the Regulator,correct me if I am wrong(I often am) if I check resistance between the yellow in feed and one of the blue temp sender wires there is a circuit no resistance. Then I connect the 2 blues together simulating the temp sender switching) and check for continuity and resitance between the yellow infeed and the Fan multi connector there is a circuit there between the yellow in feed and the black wire on the fan connector block and it shows around 4 ohms resistance. My next move is to run the bike and check if there is a supply coming from the stator on the yellow wire, any ideas as to what voltages I should se a a few thousand RPM...PS I hope it is the regulator but to me all points to the Stator...any thoughts advice greatly appreciated.

BR

Dave

Gday, sounds like a rewind. Is the Yellow shorted to ground?

Cheers,

Stork

Hi Stork, I ran the bike with the Regulator disconnected, put a multimeter on dc connected one side of meter to the yellow lead that goes to the Reg and grounded the other lead from the meter.No volts at all at tickover. I think it should have shown something if ok? I think a rewind, but first get the flywheel off, need a puller, do I need only to remove the centre nut 24mm I think'there are 2 bolts either side of this do I leave these in place ?

Gday, you need to check stator output voltages on the multimeters AC range, not DC. I'd recheck that first before anything else. You should see around 50-100 volts max at say 2000 - 3000 rpm. If thats no good you need a flywheel puller and just remove the centre nut. Impact guns are good for this. Leave all other bolts/screws etc in place, they hold the magnets into the inside of the flywheel. There are aftermarket stators available for these as someone mentioned above, as well as the rewind options.

Cheers,

Stork

The 2 bolts hold your flywheel weight on, Under that there are 4 crossheads that fix the magnets in place, the weight was an option world wide but standard in the uk, the softer power delivery with it fitted, suits our slippery muddy conditions, I like most of the lads I know run without it and I only bolt it on for extremely slippery days, without it the engine spools up a lot quicker giving more 'Punch' once you got your bike running experiment with & without it,

I've had a few electrical problems recently (Last 6 months) I'm sure its just the age of the bike, It is 10 years old after all! and Strongly believe its you regulator I have only heard of triggers failing never the windings on our older stators, 35 odd sods for a VR or 80 odd notes for a rewind, Im sure Lampkins or maybe BVM will send you a VR on return.

Flea Bay seems to be the cheapest for flywheel pullers

Edited by FeetDown

Thanks for your replys all, I made the mistake of having the multimeter on DC when checking the feed directly from the Stator, tried it on AC and shows around 100volts + at 2500rpm ish, I am going to try a new regulator .Thanks all

Regards

Dave

Gday, you need to check stator output voltages on the multimeters AC range, not DC. I'd recheck that first before anything else. You should see around 50-100 volts max at say 2000 - 3000 rpm. If thats no good you need a flywheel puller and just remove the centre nut. Impact guns are good for this. Leave all other bolts/screws etc in place, they hold the magnets into the inside of the flywheel. There are aftermarket stators available for these as someone mentioned above, as well as the rewind options.

Cheers,

Stork

Top Man!! Thanks Stork, was looking at DC, tried on AC and showing a feed. You saved me a lotta time and Money.If your ever in Wales I owe you a Beer!!!

The 2 bolts hold your flywheel weight on, Under that there are 4 crossheads that fix the magnets in place, the weight was an option world wide but standard in the uk, the softer power delivery with it fitted, suits our slippery muddy conditions, I like most of the lads I know run without it and I only bolt it on for extremely slippery days, without it the engine spools up a lot quicker giving more 'Punch' once you got your bike running experiment with & without it,

I've had a few electrical problems recently (Last 6 months) I'm sure its just the age of the bike, It is 10 years old after all! and Strongly believe its you regulator I have only heard of triggers failing never the windings on our older stators, 35 odd sods for a VR or 80 odd notes for a rewind, Im sure Lampkins or maybe BVM will send you a VR on return.

Flea Bay seems to be the cheapest for flywheel pullers

Thanks for the sound advice, will try the weight removal in the near future.

regards

dave