Flash?

Guest gasgastxtpro

Guest gasgastxtpro

When taking photos at trials is it recommended to not use flash as it will put riders off?

Im not sure as i have no personal experience of trials photography.

Any help greatly appreciated

:wall: Rich :o

Think of it this way - would a flash gun going off in your face put you off when concentrating in the middle of a difficult section?

YES I suspect you will answer.!

I have seen a good rider i know very well fiving a section at the Scottish because of a flashgun going off directly in his eyes. I would have put money on him cleaning the section. lets just say he was not very happy - initially blaming me since i was takinga picture at the time (not by flash I hasten to add!)

Although it is a different sport there are always warnings given at the TT Races in the Isle of Man NOT to use flash guns since they can put off riders. Marshalls at all points round the course are directed to 'tell off' miscreants.

This is something I fell strongly about - although you will often see 'professional' photographers at trials using flash - in my opinion this is just bad positioning on there part. They doin't need to take photos in a section where the light is too bad to require flash.

Hi,

Having worn the press bib at trials many a time I have to say I always used flash. Even on the brightest of days.

Positioning is crucial to avoid causing problems for the riders and for the most part trials photographers are aware of this, only the most arrogant will cause problems. In general I think you won't get very many complaints from the riders.

Generally, if the flash is in line of sight for the rider then it will be a problem, otherwise not.

At TT Races and so on I can only assume it's much more of a safety issue that flash is frowned upon. At worst, at a trial you might get a complaint from a rider.....at a TT you might get a death. Big difference and quite rightly so.

PS. Flash is usually used even on bright days to 'fill-in' shadows.

Ian.

I use flash all the time and have had no problem whatsoever. Not once have I had a rider complain about me distracting him (or her) and that counts at countless Clubman Trials, various Nationals, the SSDT, the Scott, World Rounds and probably most notably - Youth Championship Rounds. If anybody is likely to be unused to a flashgun in a high-pressure Trials environment it is the Youths, but not once has there been a complaint, despite me using a high-power flashgun. I've never heard of Eric Kitchen or Barry Robinson getting complaints either.

If riders are complaining then they ain't concentrating on the matter in hand and are blaming the flash for their failings.

Out of respect for the riders competing I personally would never use flash taking trials photos - without asking the riders first (if you are taking pictures of a friend then ask/warn him)

Fair enough you can fill in shadows etc but not all photographers take care where they are standing/pointing camera.

The worst I have seen is where a press photographer has his camera pointed directly at into a riders face as they climb out towards the end of a section - it was clear to everyone but the photographer that he was distracting many of the competitors. There was no need for this - I was taking pictures as were another couple amateur photographers oat the same obstacle - only the press guy did not think of the riders.

Guest gasgastxtpro

Ok, well im only starting in photography and have around three weeks to practice with the camera before my first photo trial.

Im definatly inclined to use the flash, although I am unsure about it. Ill just try and not stand right infront of the rider, as if andy and ian have taken all their photos and used flash and not had complaints then.

Does anyone have a photo where you can see another photographer and where he is standing?

The section which i know i want photos is a river where the rider goes up the river and then up a large (in my eyes) rock step and out. I want pictures of riders coming up the step, take them from the side do you think?

Help greatly appreciated

:wacko: Rich :D