4rt Won't Go!

scraggydog64

For the past few months my 4RT has, only on occasions, took a few more kicks to start it regardless of whether it is hot or cold. Once it starts it runs great.

I used the bike last week, it was washed, dried, started up, run up to temparature and put away.

Went to the trial on Sunday, signed on, got changed etc. and it wouldn't start. No spark. Done the usual, tapped the tilt sensor, changed the plug, disconnected the kill switch still no spark. Never mind, they were short of observers so I did my bit.

Got home and tried all of the above again. No joy. Proved all of the plugs worked on my lads Beta. Ironic that, relying on a Beta ignition to check your plugs!

Got the manual out tested the primary side of the coil, the secondary side of the coil, the ignition pulse generator and they were all within tolerance. The manual says at this point to replace the condensor.

Before I do I want to eliminate the tilt sensor. Does anyone know how to bypass this? I believe it can be done.

Also does anyone kone if it's possible to test the condensor?

Thanks in advance, Scragg

I just got rid of my tilt sensor, join the two outer wires together and leave the middle one on its own. A mate of mines rectifier was the problem when his didnt start but it was cutting out before that not dead totally, have you tried the restart proceedure? I've seen a couple of people kicking hell out of a 4rt with no joy in starting, restart sequence and it goes first kick

Edited by The Addict

Hi, I had the same issue with mine, spoke to sandifords and they told me to turn the idle screw two turns anti clockwise,

do the reset procedure (full throttle one slow kick) and it started straight away. I then turned the idle screw clockwise about 1.5 turns

when it was warm. Had a bit of smoke at the beginning due to the petrol that had built up (due to constant kicking). I then had to change the plug as

it was missing a little on acceleration. Did that and it was normal again, it also started easier due to the tick over being a bit higher. Dont know why it did it, but this cured it ?

Sorry, forgot to mention, did the three kicks with the throttle wide open and still no spark

Scragg

Reset is as described, one slow through kick with throttle wide open. I went through a phase when I had mine of trying to start it once only then re set then it always started on the next kick.