New Bike, What To Change/work On?

theshercorider

New bike should hopefully be arriving soon but what is there that you should do when you get it?

I heard that after the first or second time out the oil should be changed and that all bolts/bearings should be greased up?

Also how long do you tend to run in your bike and what methods/type of things do you do?

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: also what do people reckon to changing the carbs? All the bikes I have seen have either had a dellorto flat side or a keihin on. It has obviously been designed for a keihin as the manifold is over sized to take it.

Edited by TheShercoRider

New bike should hopefully be arriving soon but what is there that you should do when you get it?

I heard that after the first or second time out the oil should be changed and that all bolts/bearings should be greased up?

Also how long do you tend to run in your bike and what methods/type of things do you do?

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: also what do people reckon to changing the carbs? All the bikes I have seen have either had a dellorto flat side or a keihin on. It has obviously been designed for a keihin as the manifold is over sized to take it.

Sherco rider, I too have just received a new Sherco. The first thing I put on it was a slow throttle, makes the bike much more controllable. Next, I decided to protect the forks with the long carbon fiber look shields, already useful. Lastly, I'm sorting out the Carb, as it came from the factory on the rich side here at sea level. I've dropped the needle once, and will drop it again to it's lowest level before switching to the next smallest main jet if necessary. Other than that, just routine chain maintenance, tire pressure, and cable lube are all that's been required so far. Good luck with yours, rockyrider. OH, I'm breaking mine in at 64:1, for the first 5 gallons.

As soon as you get it GREASE it....steering head bearings and ALL of the linkage/swingarm bearings & bolts.

Air filter check...is it oiled.

Double check all fluids

quick go of all nuts/bolts

Adjust levers to your liking

add petrol mix and break it in hard :)

change out tranny fluid after a few hours of ride time.

add bling as you see fit.

adjust suspension giving it time to break in.

adjust carbaration for your area.

Most important

RIDE RIDE RIDE :o

Any help appreciated.

Did you get another 125 or what?

As soon as you get it GREASE it....steering head bearings and ALL of the linkage/swingarm bearings & bolts.

Air filter check...is it oiled.

Double check all fluids

quick go of all nuts/bolts

Adjust levers to your liking

add petrol mix and break it in hard :)

change out tranny fluid after a few hours of ride time.

add bling as you see fit.

adjust suspension giving it time to break in.

adjust carbaration for your area.

Most important

RIDE RIDE RIDE :o

Yes do all of this but don't "break it in hard ;)" you should run it in genlty to start with to check everything is running alright. All bolts going into aluminium and put copper grease on them eg the fork bolts into the yokes, the handle bar clamps and brake calipers etc. Also on most of the bolts if you want to keep it in perfect condition. Also get waterproof grease and go round all the spoke nipples on the wheels and pack it round them as this will stop them rusting, like they do. Take the carb of and blow it out just to be sure for yourself as you can't be certain there isnt little things that can get in there at the factory. Another thing is check the swinging arm spindle, and other larger bolts as the factory will use machine tools to put these on and will overtighten them sometimes. Put copper grease on the back of the brake pistons front and rear. Grease the front and rear wheel spindles, swinging arm spindle.

I think thats abouts it and enjoy your new bike, wish i was going to get one :/

Will let you know if there is anything else i can think of.

I think I would let it run in a bit easy with the stock carb and all for at least the first 2-3 hours with no screaming it! All depends upon what you want in the carby, as the stockers run good when jetted well..

An OKO 28 is always an option costwise, seem to work well. 26 or 28 versions or both at the cost of a Kiehin. :o

Hi "TheShercoRider"

Some very good advice there.

I'd say ride the easy route so it doesn't get scratched, that's my opinion, that's why I ride one thats 19 years old !!

But seriously, if your old bikes been sold and you want something with a bit more GRUNT for those big hill climbs,

then there's always a spare Aprilia Climber in my shed you can borrow for Eadons Fields Trials !!

Get some pictures on your website ASAP.

Best wishes with it.

Hi "TheShercoRider"

Some very good advice there.

I'd say ride the easy route so it doesn't get scratched, that's my opinion, that's why I ride one thats 19 years old !!

But seriously, if your old bikes been sold and you want something with a bit more GRUNT for those big hill climbs,

then there's always a spare Aprilia Climber in my shed you can borrow for Eadons Fields Trials !!

Get some pictures on your website ASAP.

Best wishes with it.

Haha pete, it could be interesting to do a trial like that on a bike like yours. I think I will go for the gentle option of running it in as it seems to be the tryed and tested way to do things. It probably will make it work ok but I'd rather be sure and have my bike fine :o

My Dad is ringing up to see if I can get one sorted for the next few days tomorrow. I'll get him to put some pics up on the website and also I think i might make a video for a change now he has a fancy HD camera. So look out for that.

Cheers

Duncan

• 3 weeks later...

With big thanks to Chris at splatshop I picked up the bike last night. He greased the majority of the bolts with copper slip for me and fitted mud guards to guard the rear shock, engine and on the front mudguard.

I'm going out in it this afternoon on it for the first time :rolleyes: and will likely change the oil when I get back as well as greasing up the rear linkage.

To Robsmont, I notice that the spring/shock is different on your bike, out of interest what is the reason for this?

Is there any other advice to come from people?

Cheers

Duncan