Fuel Tank

houseape1000

Hi, again.......another conundrum........

I have removed the fuel tank to prep it for a re-spray, and found that the inside on the right ( sat on bike ) has been rubbing on the engine and now has an impression of the cylinder head and bolt head melted into it....luckily its not gone through.

I purchased a fibre-glass repair kit a while ago, for repairing the mudguard,( by the way it worked brilliantly ) and was wondering if it can be used on the fuel tank to patch it up ( don't know if the resin will react with the plastic tank )....also thinking of putting a strip where the kickstart rattles against it, just to thicken it up a bit.

Should there be spacers behind the tank fixing points to stop it touching the engine, and should there be rubber over the frame ?

When placing the tank on the bike the fixing points are about a half inch away from the lugs.

Andy.

Whilst Im here, Im about to re-pack the silencer and will be trying to come up with some way of making it easy to seperate, without having to slice it in half and weld it back up again.

Will post pics if its possible...(sorry if I've missed the boat on this and somebody has already done it).

I have never seen a spacer on my Sy's. difficult to say without seeing but if its lasted this long without going through the tank i would be wary of building up that area as the glass fiber my push a hole in the already moulded tank.

There are no spacers!

The question is, why is the tank rubbing? Are the mounts bent?

Plastic padding or the resin should be Ok.

Don't remove all the paint unless you intend to use a plasticizer primmer.

The kick-start is a common problem. It shouldn't rattle unless the ball and spring is missing inside. I think the damage is done mostly when you push it in after starting it.

Yes thats correct the fixing points are about a half inch away from the lugs.

Make sure cylinder nuts is domed shape.

I put some foam padding on the frame where the tank sits to stop the paint rubbing off.

Grind of the welds on the outside edge of the silencer and it should split in half and then just re-weld the original joints.

Hi, again.......another conundrum........

I have removed the fuel tank to prep it for a re-spray, and found that the inside on the right ( sat on bike ) has been rubbing on the engine and now has an impression of the cylinder head and bolt head melted into it....luckily its not gone through.

I purchased a fibre-glass repair kit a while ago, for repairing the mudguard,( by the way it worked brilliantly ) and was wondering if it can be used on the fuel tank to patch it up ( don't know if the resin will react with the plastic tank )....also thinking of putting a strip where the kickstart rattles against it, just to thicken it up a bit.

Should there be spacers behind the tank fixing points to stop it touching the engine, and should there be rubber over the frame ?

When placing the tank on the bike the fixing points are about a half inch away from the lugs.

Andy.

Whilst Im here, Im about to re-pack the silencer and will be trying to come up with some way of making it easy to seperate, without having to slice it in half and weld it back up again.

Will post pics if its possible...(sorry if I've missed the boat on this and somebody has already done it).

dude...I was told ,these are non-repackable silencers...some kind of mechanical/baffle type thingys...anyone know about this ???

Edited by Slapshot 3

Forgot to take piccies, sorry.......was in a rush on Friday afternoon to get it finished. If someone has an old one thats knackered that they don't want any more, I will try to better it.......somehow, as there's a lot of room for improvement.

Theres got to be a way of making it easy to seperate, and re-assemble, like most silencers are.

By the way, Ali is very easy to stretch, and very hard to shrink, I started to knock out the little dents from the inside, but noticed it was turning into a Banana......so stopped....I will have to learn to live with the dents.....or buy a cover !

too bad about the pics..theres gotta be someone out there that has some..how about it you guy..any pictures?

also, did you attempt the middle muffler thingy at all ??

Was told not to bother, as theres not much in them anyway ! ......didn't need telling twice to not do something !

I have just re-sprayed the fuel tank, and finished it off with a good few layers of lacquer........was slightly orange peely, but a million times better than it was.....well, I must have spilled a drop or two when filling it up, and the petrol has eaten right through the lacquer and destroyed the finish......gutted.

Is there a specific lacquer/varnish I need to use ?

Edited by houseape1000

Was told not to bother, as theres not much in them anyway ! ......didn't need telling twice to not do something !

I have just re-sprayed the fuel tank, and finished it off with a good few layers of lacquer........was slightly orange peely, but a million times better than it was.....well, I must have spilled a drop or two when filling it up, and the petrol has eaten right through the lacquer and destroyed the finish......gutted.

Is there a specific lacquer/varnish I need to use ?

dude....I hope you are not painting it ORANGE!!!