Shorted Fan Switch Wires On Barrel Now No Spark ?

huffysgas

Help needed please my 04 rev3 boiled today the fan was not running so i linked the fan switch wires together fan ran perfect as did the bike until i presume i shorted them on the barrel with my knee . Yes i am a muppet and shoud have insulated them , it stopped instantly and i now have no spark ! where do i start thanks jim .

I thought as much the stator seems fine as with the fan wires linked if i kick it over the fan runs so i presume its charging will try lampkins in the morning thanks jim

Jim I investigated a possible stator problem the other way around, bike runs but no fan..Apparently the stator has 2 circuits one for each function.

Because the bike would run I had nno problem establishing feed for the lighting and fan circuits.

I do not know how you would check the other way but would presume another feed goes from the stator to the CDI circuit, do not know if it is a similar check for what you are looking for but got to be worth a look. My problem was the good old voltage regulator.

Gday Jim, foulksey is right, the stator runs 2 circuits, one for ignition and one for lighting/fan. If you have shorted the fan side it is unlikely that you have affected ignition, unless there is some dirty work afoot. If you find the stator output to the ignition you can check for a voltage output on that wire with a multimeter set to AC. You should see around 70 volts at kickover. Download an owners manual for your bike (links in the beta forum everywhere) and go from there.

Cheers,

Stork

yes thanks i have pulled it apart today i removed the fan and rectifier added 12 volts and it all works so iam discounting the rectifier as thats only for lighting and fan have no output on the yellow wire from the stator which powers that lot but also no output on the cdi unit supply . My understanding of a stator was as the diagram shows , 2 coiles of wire so if not working i would expect 0 ohms reading but between the red and black ( ignition ) i have 18.8 m ohms and on ( lights fan ) circuit i have 1.9 ohms does any one know or could mesure what they have got thanks jim .

Gday, 18.8 meg ohms is way too high and means an open circuit. I Only have an 03 diagram but looking at that it seems there is a ground (possibly Black), a hot wire from the source coil (Possibly Red) and a hot wire from the trigger (Possibly Brown). Source coils usually run around 50 ohms but this can vary and triggers around 170 ohms. Any more or less and there are issues. Generally variations will be major and easy to spot, such as 0 ohms, or 18 meg. I would try to either trace each wire and find the actual source coil or re-measure between the 3 wires and look for figures around the ones above. There should be no 0 ohm resistances to earth (ground) which would indicate a dead short. Otherwise look for voltage outputs - around 1 volt AC for the trigger and 70 or more V AC from the source coil. See how you go and let us know what you find.

Cheers,

Stork

Gday CDI's rarely give trouble, a dead short at the source coil shouldnt affect the unit either, the CDI will just see 0 volts. There are aftermarket stators that fit Techno's, dunno about Rev's. Genuine ones will probably exhibit the same fault eventually. A rewound one should be OK in the long term for you.

Cheers,

Stork.