Aprilia Climber 280

richywrecka

HIya..

My dad has a 1993 one. Some people told us this. Transmission oil is 950cc for water cooled ones or 1400cc for air cooled ones. I put 950cc in my dads water cooled one last time, and it seemed to be OK.

The oil filler is difficult to find though!!

SPark plug BP5ES

Fork oil 260cc in each leg

If you have any engine problem/need of parts there is a VERY helpful guy called Peter Knight (company called PowerSport??) most people call him the ROtax man. Knows everything about Rotax engine, and can sell you a manual for your ENGINE.

There might be a link to him on r2wtrials.com

If not, just do a search on google and I think you'll find it.

GOod luck :wacko::D

richy..

forgot to say that although I'm in HK...that guy Peter Knight is in UK...Bath I think if I remember correctly.

He told me that he has a deal where he will strip an engine for maximum 1 hour labour. THen he'll let you know what needs replacing/fixing before going ahead. Might try to get him to give my dads an overhaul sometime.

See ya :wacko:

Another thing I forgot richy!!!!!!!

I also bought an air filter and some other bits and pieces for my dads APrilia from bvm-moto.co.uk

They seemed to know a fair bit about the Aprilia. You may know that Steve Saunders sometimes works for that shop, and I think he used to ride the Gorilia Climber!!..so he knows about that bike!! :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I would just to thank everybody for all the info. Found out now that I require 1250ml of oil in my model, I have a hydraulic clutch on this one so no plugs to check. I was advised the best oil for that bike is the Ipone 10/40 synthetic oil.

Thanks again.

Im sure that's not right, the older Aprilia TX models had a larger clutch sidecase which held more oil, 1200cc.

After that, they introduced a slimmer clutch casing on the TXR and Climber which reduced the oil capacity to about 950cc, i owned a couple of Aprilias back then and i'm certain you don't put 1200cc in a Climber.

Thanks again for all the advise. I sent an e-mail to aprilia tech dept on there main web site and got a reply back, my model does requires 1250cc of oil because it has the larger clutch, they fitted the the larger clutch in the later machine because of the hydralic clutch, it made it easier to control as the smaller clutch used to snatch more. The manual for sale on ebay is the earlier model (its the only one i can find so far anyway).

Thanks again...............