My Other Hobby..

stevew4130

Just in case some of you guys might be interested I thought I would post some details about my other hobby! VW drag racing! We have been racing for about 8 years (well 5 for me) My wife and I spent 3 years building our new racecar from a 1959 Beetle and its been a show winner along with being a race winner. My wife Adele is the primary driver and we've been lucky enough to be featured in magazines in Europe and in Japan. Just this week we have now been featured in Volksworld USA digital magazine so I thought i'd post up a quick link.

www.volksworldusa.co.uk

Our car is on the front cover and the article is called 'Retro Racer'

This a picture of the car in action last year. Our best 1/4 mile time is 11.401 seconds at 117mph with more to come this year!

NGK_wheelie.jpg

Steve

:o Thanks! Basically everything is new and bigger! It's exactly the same design and configuration just with a bigger crank and pistons. The engine case is a new alloy case which has been designed for cranks up to 84mm (stock is 69mm!) The heads are also bigger with bigger valves, designed like it so no welding is needed like you have to on stock heads. This current engine dyno'd at 232hp and this year we aim to get a bit more!

It's mental to drive! It runs straight as an arrow, it just pins you back when you launch!! So much fun but it doesn't like going slow!!

That's a tidy looking Bug, I learned to drive (under-age) in one of those...a 1303s super-beetle, not quite as powerful as yours though!

Does your wife have any problems seeing where she's going when the front lifts like that...it would be like taxiing a spitfire???

Edited by HAM2

That's a tidy looking Bug, I learned to drive (under-age) in one of those...a 1303s super-beetle, not quite as powerful as yours though!

Does your wife have any problems seeing where she's going when the front lifts like that...it would be like taxiing a spitfire???

:thumbup: Well the trick is..Don't lift off the gas! Basically you can't see anything but you just have faith that your car's going straight which it always has (touch wood!) and keep on the gas because if you let off it drops down really hard! If you keep on it the car drops down 'naturally', in ours it's before you need 2nd gear so its not too long but one of friends cars he changes to 2nd while still pulling a wheelie! :gay: Mind you his beetle cabrio runs 9.33 so it's a tad quicker :D