Float Directions

boner

Guys have just stripped and cleaned my carb - stuck it back together and turned the fuel back on...

...which ended up on the garage floor as it flooded out of the air vent pipes! Bu99er!Just been searching the forum and found this exploded diagram of the 315R carburetor.

http://www.apexmotosports.com/montesa%20pa...20book/e-10.htm

Noticed that the floats are set in opposite directions - is this correct, and if I had installed them both in the same direction, would this explain my spillage?

Cheers - Boner.

Edited by Boner

It is possible to assemble the floats upside down. The lift pins on the floats are off set so if they are in upside down they in fact lock the float valve open hence the flooding. A simple test is to gently shake the carb when assembled, you can hear the float movement if they are free to move ie float.

With ref my earlier post about carb/starting problem, I stripped the carb completely, all jets out etc, clean with air line, reassemble with all vent pipes connected & wow what a difference. I tried the kick 3 times then leave for 5 mins method for starting which seems to be the answer, I guess the fuel vapor gets into the chamber as reqd. Choke off immediatly & blip till warm.

Guess the moral of the story is that a simple clean is often all thats required, I assumed the problem must be more serious, spark or ignition etc. So get you blow pipe out & start cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried every which way around, and it's still flooding.

Have hooked the arms over and under, and tried the floats both ways up!

In simpleton terms, should the float pins be at the bottom of the bowl or up the top?

Then does the float arm sit under or over the pins???

Cheers Boner.

Have you checked the seating on the valve itself. It has a rubber like cone that forms a seal when closed. This can be worn with a groove on the cone or missing completely, worth a look. Can you see where the fuel is coming from.? The face of the bowl may be scored or the o ring may be damaged. From the pictures in my manual the pins are at the bottom of the float facing in with the float levers resting on top of the pins. I think to assemble the levers under the pins would be very fiddly to assemble & would render the floats useless.

Geoff

Just had a look in the owner's manual at the float valve... and I think it's missing completely!!!!!

CR4P. Must have got blown off the bench whilst using the air line.

Will strip the carb again and double check - but that would explain the problem!

Just taken a look at the Dellorto website at float valves and seats...

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/prod...artsectionID=24

How do I know which is the right one?

Cheers - Boner.

Edited by Boner

Just a quick one to conclude:

Carb was missing the float valve - which obviously fell out when I was stripping it.

Replaced it: size of valve indicated on the side of the seat.

Carb in the bike - no flooding and running!

Job sorted.

Thanks for all the help - Boner.