Lights On Throttle

littleoneben

Hi

Being now the proud owner of a 12.5 and a 16 36V (for the boys you understand :thumbup: )

I am a bit confused over the charge indicators on the throttle. Having built them up and plugged the charger in, the light on the charger turned to green within 5 minutes, indicating a full charge. When you turn the bikes on, 3 lights on the throttle assembly turn red. Does this indicate full charge, or do the lights on the throttle go green?

Another quick question, the grips don't appear too big for my children, but the brake levers on the 12.5 are tiny (length wise), are they just replacable with cycle parts as I would like to get similar length levers to the 16. Also the bar ends people mention about, are these the ones you fit into the end of the bars with an expanding allen key bolt? If so, what diamater are the bars, mine are both 2010 models.

Many thanks

Andy

Sounds like you didn't get the book that came with my OSET. The throttle lights are only red no matter what the state of charge. When charged and no throttle, all lights are lit. As the battery gets towards flat with use, the uppermost light goes out as the throttle is opened. More of the lights go out with throttle being opened as the battery gets flatter. The lights are pretty redundant really because your kids will probably complain about the battery going flat before they notice what the lights are doing.

Sorry I didn't check if the bars would take clamping type bar ends - I just made solid plastic plugs to fit - but they are probably the same ID as steel motorbike handlebars.

I haven't seen 12.5 levers

I did get the book, but can't remember it saying about the lights.

The main reason I ask, is it is the first charge and I don't want to overcharge the batteries. They went on charge for about 4 hrs on green light last night, so I don't know if I need to charge them for an additional 8 hrs (to bring it up to the 12 hrs reccomed=nded in the book for the 1st few charges)

Many thanks

Andy

I would throw them on the charger overnight before using again. You won't overcharge the batteries. They need that 1st big charge.

As for bar ends....you can use bicycle bar ends.

The brake lever I also replaced with higher quality aluminum bicycle levers. They work better and were adjustable.

Edited by motofire

The bars are 7/8" steel bars. The bar ends I used are the aluminum expandable-insert-style that you use for full sized trials bikes, but the end which inserts into the bar wasn't thick enough. So I simply wrapped enough electrical tape until I got it to fit tight. I don't even bother trying to expand them with the bolt, I just tap them in with a hammer. Removing them requires tapping in the opposite direction with hammer and punch. They work great, and saved the throttle countless times.

If you replace the brake levers, make sure you get the right amount of leverage. I replaced them on my son's Oset-16 with what I thought were much better levers, but it turned out the new levers produced less clamping force than the original ones, so I reverted back. BTW, while you are messing with the levers, I recommend putting some teflon tape under the clamps to keep the levers from bending due to a crash. It's a standard trick on all offroad bikes.

Well, I have taken the plunge (again) and bought the 2010 levers from the 16 professional to put onto the 12.5. Decent size, even I can get 4 fingers on them. The charging appears Ok now. didn't appear to charge correctly first time, however 2nd time all appears Ok???

Still struggling to get bar ends for the 16 pro with the new bars on. I have spoken to zoom (suppliers of the bars) who have given an internal measurement of 19mm, however attempting to put on a bar end from a cycle they are all too big.

Many thanks fro the help so far.

Andy