Sections

shipo

not sure if this possible or not, but how about some pictures of sections with a little advice on sensible ways to ride them. think it might give myself and hopefully other newbys some idea on how to look at a section and on how to ride it. any info welcome. :wacko:

Guest gasgastxtpro

Right notice, that he is putting weight on the back wheel, to get traction. also notice his head is straight forward, concentrating on the section.

He also probably is cursing to himself trying to get the bike up the hill.

Hope this helps, Rich

PS yes look ive been coloring again! :wacko::D

post-3-1104445926.jpg

Edited by gasgastxtpro

ok cheers guys, not quite the reply i was thinking of but hopefully will have a copy of the book in the next few days. think the drawing could be moved to the trials cartoons thread (no offence) any hints welcomed though. one of the things i cant get the hang of is plain boring old balancing on the spot. i know its the most basic of moves just cant seem to get the hang of it.

:wacko::D:D:D

one of the things i cant get the hang of is plain boring old balancing on the spot. i know its the most basic of moves just cant seem to get the hang of it.

I know I should stick to mechanical advice, but this one's pretty easy.

Turn the bars almost all the way in whatever direction feels most comfortable (left, for most folks)and hold the front brake.

When you're starting, it helps to put the front tire in a small furrow or hollow in the ground.

Keep your weight on your feet and make small corrections by turning the bars. This takes much less energy than shifting weight.

A slight tweak of the bars in one direction will make the bike move in the other.

Guest gasgastxtpro

This may be of more help than the cartoon.

Something i have been told recently and has helper, a helluva lot, is to put your knees outthis way the bike can move inbetween your legs instead of your bike and body.

Also using the back break helps soetimes aswell, i cant balance for ages but it helps a lot to stick your knees out.

Hope this helps, Rich.

This may be of more help than the  cartoon.

Something i have been told recently and has helper, a helluva lot, is to put your knees outthis way the bike can move inbetween your legs instead of your bike and body.

Also using the back break helps soetimes aswell, i cant balance for ages but it helps a lot to stick your knees out.

Hope this helps, Rich.

Also, you must learn to whach further than your front tire. Look more further, so you get that "horizont" feel, helps really.

What comes to using rear brake for balancing on flat surface my advice is to use it all the time. It helps alot and teaches you how rear brake feels on ya foot. In sections rear brake control will be very essential as clutch & thortle control.

check out:

http://www.trials.com.au/contributions/trialman.shtml

for very good how-to trials manual!

thank you one and all. certainly given me loads to go try out. Thanks v v v v v v much. and especially to "da make" that link you sent me was excellent thank you. hope to see some of you out there soon. :wacko:

There is no substitute for riding with riders who are better than yourself - and also there's no better way to learn than to turn up and have a go at a trial.

Try and find a club near you that runs a Novice / Beginner series. That way, the sections will be manageable and you won't feel under pressure from all the guys around. N&B trials are predominantly ridden by riders such as yourself who are learning the trade. Maybe go and watch one first, see how it works, then go along next time and have a go.

Don't be tempted to jump into to clubman trials unless you're very confident and can handle the bike. There is nothing worse than getting stuck in a tough section and having to carry your bike out - it drains your energy and takes all the fun out of riding.

When you do a trial, take the time to stop at each section, get off your bike and have a PROPER look at the section. Listen to other riders and see what sort of things they are talking about. All too often, beginners have a cursory look at the flags then jump on and ride it - usually with none-too-spectacular results.

Talk to the observers as well - most will give you advice on which line the riders are taking, and where people are making mistakes. After all, they see every rider tackle the section, so if anyone can offer advice - its them.

If you DO practise on your own, try and mark out sections rather than just diddling about - and make the sections a little bit too tough - its easy to set out a section that you KNOW you'll be able to get round - and therefore you don't really learn much. Even better if you can get someone else to mark it out for you - after all, thats what happens at a real trial.

Most of all, don't beat yourself up if you struggle at your first trials - noone said this game was easy!!! Set yourself realistic targets. For example, in a 10 section, 4 lap trial you can drop a max of 200 marks - so aim first to get round in under say 120, which is an average of 3 on each section. Then aim to get round in under 100, then 80 and so on. You'll be amazed at how quickly your score comes down.

And most of all - enjoy it!!!

Cheers

KB.

There is no substitute for riding with riders who are better than yourself - and also there's no better way to learn than to turn up and have a go at a trial.

That's why Honda got Dougie, for Fuji and it worked for him.