Sump Nut

squid

Hello Andy T

I thought about that but couldn't get a spanner between the gap to hold the nut. I thought, surely I dont have to take the engine out to get the belly plate off.

Squid.

The nut is usually captive, ie fixed to the fame and does'nt need to be held.

Thanks B40RT.

I've been turning it like a mad man,but its just spinning and not coming out. I guess I just cant top up with fresh oil as I dont know what the guy used to put in there before I bought it,or can I?

Sorry for all these lame mails, but I've no previous experince with mechanical things and I'd just like to do it properly. Its so good having all you lads out there to guide me.

Much appreciated, for all your Knowledge.

Cheers.

Squid.

If its one of the nuts on the front near the exhaust, its possible to get something down there to lock the nut, if its one near the back of the engine then they dont look so easy. I would hold the head of the bolt and drill out the head, then you could either get the nut bit re welded or get some captive type nuts.

Squid,

You don't say whether its the normally welded flat nut on the inside on the bracket or the bolt is just spinning and not moving in or out? In my experience the nuts don't normally break away from the weld and its more likely that someone has cross threaded the bolts at an angle when replacing the shield. If this is the case remove the "good" 3 bolts then use the shield itself as a pressure lever as you unscrew the offending bolt.

Tony

Thanks Andy T, Rich TY250E and Tony for your help.

The flat nut on the insides not spinning and the bolts not moving in or out when Iam spannering. Not one of the 4 is behaving properly, Iam almost in tears.

I didn't think I'd have to ask for help on removing a belly, bash plate thing. What a to do.

Cheers

Squid.

In total desperation I wheeled me bike round to the local garage. The guy had a spanner with more faces than the one I had and gripped me sump plug.

Sorry for me mincing mails but I've now changed the oil.

It was brown muck that came out. Whats that a sign of. Hope its not naughty as I planning on taking her out tomorrow to get muddy in the hills.

Please I didn't mean to waste your time, you've given me more knowledge and Iam learning.

Cheers

Squid.