Memories Of John Orme And A Bsa Bantam

old trials fanatic

With the talk on the forum of the Drayton bantam and that McLaren Suzuki all invoked memories of Trials here in the East Midlands Centre all those years ago.

I have fond memories of John Orme and his BSA Bantam which was oh so trick especially considering the year was 1970.

Problem is with memories the pictures arent so good so i was wondering if anybody else remembered the man or the bike too?

Also remember the bike had a sister. That bike was owned by an Alan Molyneux who like me also lived in Long Eaton at the time. Alan went on to ride speedway like another local Trials star and motor cycle shop owner Chris Pidcock.

So back to the reason for the posting. I've aquired a BSA Bantam and was thinking of building a Trials Bike out of it and wondered if anybody had any photos of either the Orme BSA or Alans?

Also whatever happened to either bike?

It's strange how these and other bikes just dissapear. Bit like all those 125 Sprites. Wonder what happened to my old Goldfinger? but thats another story.

Hi

Yes, I remember John Orme and the Bantam. I rode against him in the Bemrose in 1973 or 1974.

I asked Barrie Rodgers a few years ago if John was still OK, he said yes he had seen him recently in Derby.

John made a comeback in pre-65 around 1988 on a very nice BSA C15 riding in the Midland Classic MCC trials,

incredibly 22 years ago.

John's very nice BSA C15 was subsequently bought and is still owned today, as far as I know, by Barrie Rodgers.

I think Barrie rode it one year in the Scottish pre-65.

Hope these snippets are of interest.

Regards

Sparks2

With the talk on the forum of the Drayton bantam and that McLaren Suzuki all invoked memories of Trials here in the East Midlands Centre all those years ago.

I have fond memories of John Orme and his BSA Bantam which was oh so trick especially considering the year was 1970.

Problem is with memories the pictures arent so good so i was wondering if anybody else remembered the man or the bike too?

Also remember the bike had a sister. That bike was owned by an Alan Molyneux who like me also lived in Long Eaton at the time. Alan went on to ride speedway like another local Trials star and motor cycle shop owner Chris Pidcock.

So back to the reason for the posting. I've aquired a BSA Bantam and was thinking of building a Trials Bike out of it and wondered if anybody had any photos of either the Orme BSA or Alans?

Also whatever happened to either bike?

It's strange how these and other bikes just dissapear. Bit like all those 125 Sprites. Wonder what happened to my old Goldfinger? but thats another story.

Hi OTF

I have a couple of photos of John riding the Bantam at Clifton and at Burycliffe, will show you at next Peak Classic. Think Bill Cooper was involved with the frames, maybe Darren can remember. Last I heard John still had his bike, he built the C15 because the Bantam wasn't eligible for pre65!!! How times change!

Hi OTF

I have a couple of photos of John riding the Bantam at Clifton and at Burycliffe, will show you at next Peak Classic. Think Bill Cooper was involved with the frames, maybe Darren can remember. Last I heard John still had his bike, he built the C15 because the Bantam wasn't eligible for pre65!!! How times change!

Thanks for that as i am sure the photos will give me a few ideas :rolleyes:

As you say funny how times change.

See you at Dudwood.

He rode a 250 Montesa for a couple of years or so during the late 1970's,with some support from Barrie Rodgers,before going back with the Bantam.

Johns day usually started with a white knuckle ride in a plastic pig with a trailer owned by local lunatic Mick Carey. On one occasion he rolled it on the way to a trial.

I viewed Johns BSA C15 when it was for sale, but passed the opportunity to Barrie Rodgers who kept it for several years. I think he sold it about 3 years ago

He rode a 250 Montesa for a couple of years or so during the mid 1970's,with some support from Barrie Rodgers,before going back with the Bantam.

Johns day usually started with a white knuckle ride to the event in a plastic pig with a trailer owned by local lunatic Mick Carey. On one occasion he rolled it on the way to a trial.

I viewed Johns BSA C15 when it was for sale, but passed the opportunity to Barrie Rodgers who kept it for several years. I think he sold it about 3 years ago.