Trial Entries

gups

why do we have to have closing dates weeks before a trial. I wanted to ride the traditional round this weekend but was due to work, but a week before the trial job cancelled, to late for an entry, even worse for sidecars when you have two people to predict what they might be doing in two weeks time,surely its not just for a programme. And centre trials extra entry fee and no award whats that all about surley if you pay more money you should be able to ride for the award/points,we cant all enter weeks in advance and if you do have you ever had your money returned even with a phone call

or is it just me trying to earn a living and have play time.

Go to next club meeting volunteer to be secretary of next event... Tell your boss to bugger off when he wants you to work because loads of riders are depending on you get to start are probably raining sort out 50 odd entries discussing with each rider his class his route his ability etc etc and you may have a better idea of why in short it makes it easier for volunteer unpaid people to facilitate your trial.

I do a fair amount of work for our club and i have took on the responsibility for a good few trials each year. I would not take on the secretarial work they do a lot more than you may think, nobody really wants the job. they don't get the fun of jumping on a bike to do it either. you should cut them a bit of slack its probably the crappiest job in a motor club. our club would fold without ours bloody sure i wont do it.

done that for 4 yrs,ran fortnightly wednesday evening club trial,clerk of course, results, the lot , get there mid-day or sooner for 3 start leave 8.30 + never new how many would turn up but loved every minuet of it ,rain or shine, only stopped due to lack of clubs ambition (also sat on committee). Even with postal entry there is work to be done on the day (never appreciated) but maybe there might be a bigger championship entry than 8 (twinshock).

I suppose the idea of closing dates is to allow yourself time for a ballot if oversubscribed and inform the unlucky ones that they are not in. no good having riders turn up on the day to be sent home.

Not sure what trial you are referring to but as secretary for next weekend's Angela Redford Trial, I bend over backwards to ensure that folks who want to ride, can do so. I appreciate that for many folks, knowing if they can have time off more than a week in advance is sometimes difficult, so we can take that into account.

Not half an hour ago I agreed to refund a rider's entry because he can't make it to our trial - it's no skin off my nose, and I like to think that because we go the extra mile for our riders by way of a decent set of sections, observers on every section, a decent goodie bag for observers plus their usual tin of M&S biscuits, is the reason we always get a good entry.

For what it's worth, Saturday's trial (March 13) has now topped 150 - far more than we expected in these financially difficult times.

We do close our entries a week in advance, but that's more so I can get the names typed onto my spread sheet for the results and to produce a couple of A4 sheets for the entry list and details of the trial.

What do I get out of it? Zilch, zero, nothing except for the fact for the past 47 years, secretaries around the country have been doing exactly the same for me, so that I can ride their trials. Lancs County have 13 trials a year and I'm secretary for all of them unless one clashes with a holiday. I do it because I want to and because I like to put something back into the sport that has kept me sane all my life. When I can't do it, then someone else will take over. Don't get me wrong, I'm no different to dozens of other club officials, most of whom have been doing the job for a lot longer than the ten years I have managed so far.

How would an organiser provide a programme if every event was enter onthe day?

How late inthe day would the trial start if 120 riders turned up at 5 to start time and wanted to sign on?

Would an organising club take the chance that their 25 mile, 40 section, 80 officials, 15 landowner event only have 20 entries turn up and therefore loose money?

Some trials should be pre enter and some work better as enter onthe day. I've done both and they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Like you said, we all have to earn a living and enjoy our play time... that includes the organisers.

I certainly did not intend to start upsetting all club secretaries, as you say its all done with very little thanks , unfortunately with three nationals being so close together i cant commit to next weekend either. and having been on both sides of the fence I would always thank the oragnizers for their effort and commitment knowing its very hard to please everybody. Sorry if you thought i was having a go at club organizers,and good luck with your event next week which i wish i could ride.

How would an organiser provide a programme if every event was enter onthe day?

How late inthe day would the trial start if 120 riders turned up at 5 to start time and wanted to sign on?

Would an organising club take the chance that their 25 mile, 40 section, 80 officials, 15 landowner event only have 20 entries turn up and therefore loose money?

Some trials should be pre enter and some work better as enter onthe day. I've done both and they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Like you said, we all have to earn a living and enjoy our play time... that includes the organisers.

Understand your point and can see how much work would be involved but does it have to be 2 weeks in advance, i've entered nationals before and have only received a number and start time with no programme, although it is nice to see who else is riding. Turning up on the day for nationals wouldn't work, how do you feel about centre trials ?

I didn't think you were having a go at secretaries. As far as I'm concerned, the national has to be pre enter because of the logistics in doing a spread sheet for results and getting a programme out prior to the trial. We close exactly a week before and I try and get the entries done onto results sheet and progarmme as soon as Saturday's post has been, but then through tghe week there will be changes from folks who can't turn up and even those who have still to enter! Do I take their entries? Of course I do, but they get an early number.

I'm a great believer in remembering that this is our SPORT we are talking about. There is enough hassle through a working week without getting into arguments on Sundays (or Saturdays). I try to accommodate everybody's requirements and requests, but you can only do so much.

With regard to Sunday and Wednesday evening trials, all entries are taken on the day; knock out a results sheet on Sunday night (Thursday night), do the accounts Monday, trial over and done with.