Brake Lever What Grade Of Aluminimum?

ikb

I am looking to make an aluminimum brake lever fo my Cota 200 on my new fangled milling machine!!! What grade of ally should I use? I must have fallen asleep during Material Technology when I went to Tech many years ago!!!

Ian

If you are having to buy it talk to your local supplier from memory (and it is very easy to google) 6086 T6 is normal machining grade the suffix indicates the degree of temper (bendability) a T3 spec would be good a bit softer... otherwise I think you would be looking at 6060 in a T6 fairly commonly available. I.ve also thought about milling from billet and instantly dismissed idea on cost grounds but nonetheless an interesting excercise. What mill /control are you using? have you any cadcam and postprocessor software? Are just going for simple profile (2D) with radiused edges.. you may as well buy a decent lump and do multiples / oppsite hands from one plate good luck have fun.