Solve The Air Leak Problem?

07beta

My tire goes flat, only on the bottom. I aired it up and soap bathed it to see bubbles coming from the spoke nipples. Must be a leak around the band. The bike is brand new so the band isn't worn or dirty, probably just misfit at assembly. How do you correct this problem? I thought of using silicone or applying flat sealant to the band then reassembeling. I'm looking for the best fix cause I hate mounting and dismounting, the tire that is.

Thanks

My tire goes flat, only on the bottom. I aired it up and soap bathed it to see bubbles coming from the spoke nipples. Must be a leak around the band. The bike is brand new so the band isn't worn or dirty, probably just misfit at assembly. How do you correct this problem? I thought of using silicone or applying flat sealant to the band then reassembeling. I'm looking for the best fix cause I hate mounting and dismounting, the tire that is.

Thanks

Only on the bottom? why worry?.. I think sikaflex as used in caravan manufacture/repair is reccomended but you need to let it go off overnight before blowing the tyre up..

Edited by chewy

jmurray, I was looking for something more cost effective.

chewy, Sikaflex looks good but it seem very permanent. Have you tried it yourself? Can you still adjust the spokes after using it? I thought that there would be something that didn't cure and remained flexable.

Good mate of mine gave me a top tip and it works ... After each trial when the bike is washed off just inflate the tyres to 20/25psi and they seem to hold their air better then let them down on the morning of next trial you ride ....

The rear tublis wheel will very slowly leak down if the rim band is seated well. Maybe maybe more than a month to go flat. However if it leaks down within a few days you will need to remove the tire and rim band and clean the rim with dishsoap and water and clean the rim band with dishsoap and water for it to seal well. Use a product called Ru-Glide to seat the rimband and tire upon reinstallation. Do not use dishsoap to seat the rimband it will not dry guick enough and the rimband will pop out of it's seat.

Thanks for the help,

Popped the tire off,not as bad as I remember, looked at the rubber band and saw it was lifted in one area. Pushed it down,remounted the tire, not as bad as I remember, aired it up, harder than I remember, and the problem is solved.

Thanks again, 07beta