A Few Observations

caddabs

Coming at this afresh, I cant help but notice that the ACU gazette could be updated a little.

A commendable update on the website, however could i please make a plea for a key or glossary ? Those that know, know, but those that dont find it really frustrating to find out.

Entries such as CR, RI, RR, are great if you know what it stands for, but all i want to know is can i ride in it or not?

That leads me to classes - yes, i fully accept i should RTFM, but its stopping my door from closing at the moment. I'm a beginner and frankly not that great, but i'm keen and will have a go. All i want to know is "can i enter", but under the list of classes this varies from "B" Class (which includes Novices) Championships, which also include Novices, 2 strokes (can i enter that one?) and "C" Class. Goodness knows which Class i am in, all i know is that the Novices i have seen have been excellent and too good for me. Isnt it possible just to have Experts, Inters and Novices, rather than "B", "C" Experts, Inters, Novices, beginners & wobblers, two strokes and presumably "A" and "D" ? Again i accept that there needs to be a category for T/S and pre-65, but why so many classes and how do i know which one i am? A glossary would help here, or a stamp on the Licence?

Then there is the entry form - why does an entry for a trials competition have a box to tick for MX Expert or MX Junior?

This isnt a rant or moan , but all i ask those that produce the official documentation is "imagine your new to the sport and would it make sense?" Perhaps i can help with that - no it doesnt.

It seems from what i read that the sport is desperate to attract new blood. Perhaps it could start with some clarity rather than confusion and a slight feeling of exclusion to those that dont know.

Just a thought......................back to my shed and keep my head down.

• 4 months later...

with the greatest of respect to our friends north of the river in the eastern centre, there is a set way of doing things and they are very keen on carrying on with them. their online pdf version of their gazette is very good, but to squeeze absolutely everything into one printed form that is there to do everything (grass track, mx, enduro and trials) is a challenge. we have a "gazette" (TSM) down here in the SE (covers SE, Southern and South Midlands) that does exactly the same and i understand the SW has its own too.

the other way to look at is, and i get lots of these, is phone the club up (at a reasonable hour) and just ask - i try my level best to direct people to all the right answers, and i'm sure there are club officials/riders nationwide doing the same

Edited by rabie