Hi All

johnnydudeuk

Hi All,

The names John (42yrs) and I've been riding road bikes for 20+ years and currently ride a YZ250 in Junior Motocross and Club-man level Enduro. I've just taken the plunge and purchased a 2004 Sherco 290 with a view to getting access to more ride time and improving my general bike control and balance.

Right now I've been reading the site for tips and general how to for the mechanical side of things and will soon be delving into the techniques side of things. So far I've not ridden the bike but will be aiming to do so ASAP. I'll probably be asking silly questions so I apologise now and beg your pardon.

Any tips for a total newbe?

Regards

John

Hi ya John,

A good tip is to practice the really easy stuff until it becomes second nature, you often see riders who can get up big steps and climbs who then loose marks on the simple turn at the top.

To start with just go round doing figures of eight from lock to lock slowly. This will help lots when you progress to the harder stuff.

All the best

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the advice! Where is the best place to find out about clubs in the Dudley Area?

Hi ya John,

A good tip is to practice the really easy stuff until it becomes second nature, you often see riders who can get up big steps and climbs who then loose marks on the simple turn at the top.

To start with just go round doing figures of eight from lock to lock slowly. This will help lots when you progress to the harder stuff.

All the best

Pete

I'm happy to say that you are spoilt for choice. There are a number of very good clubs within easy traveling distance of Dudley.

The Dudley club hold trials at Mamble Farm and Kinlet Mine, their easy route is always good for a beginner.

The Stourbridge club run at Shatterford, Howards Wood and Clee Hill. Very sensible trials and a friendly crowd.

Stafford Auto have a few locations including Milwich Farm.

South Shropshire Club run events over near the Welsh border.

Evesham club hold events on the Cotswold hills near Broadway.

These and other clubs all set out club trials with an easy route.

I'm a member of the Stratford club and we hold club trials with three routes to cater for all levels of ability.

As I mentioned, you have a good choice and can probably ride every weekend without travelling too far. You will find that you bump into the same faces over and over again which ever club you choose as many riders just go to the nearest trial every week and there's lots of riders in your area.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Hi Rich, Pete,

Thanks for the information. It seems I'm well blessed. Probably see you soon then, I'll be the wobbly one with the huge points total. :thumbup:

I'm happy to say that you are spoilt for choice. There are a number of very good clubs within easy traveling distance of Dudley.

The Dudley club hold trials at Mamble Farm and Kinlet Mine, their easy route is always good for a beginner.

The Stourbridge club run at Shatterford, Howards Wood and Clee Hill. Very sensible trials and a friendly crowd.

Stafford Auto have a few locations including Milwich Farm.

South Shropshire Club run events over near the Welsh border.

Evesham club hold events on the Cotswold hills near Broadway.

These and other clubs all set out club trials with an easy route.

I'm a member of the Stratford club and we hold club trials with three routes to cater for all levels of ability.

As I mentioned, you have a good choice and can probably ride every weekend without travelling too far. You will find that you bump into the same faces over and over again which ever club you choose as many riders just go to the nearest trial every week and there's lots of riders in your area.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Hi All,

The names John (42yrs) and I've been riding road bikes for 20+ years and currently ride a YZ250 in Junior Motocross and Club-man level Enduro.

Regards

John

Hi John. Welcome to the melee and I'd like to ask my own silly question. How old do you need to be to kicked out of Junior Motocross?

Regards

David Lahey (51 yrs)

Hi Dave,

Junior is a level not an age rating..... Everyone over 16, I think, starts in the Juniors. Some stay there for a long time. That'll probably be me as I don't really have the do or die attitude you need to keep up with the kiddies, and I've only been doing it for 10 meetings.

the Trials bike is part of my plan for improvement! :thumbup:

Hi John. Welcome to the melee and I'd like to ask my own silly question. How old do you need to be to kicked out of Junior Motocross?

Regards

David Lahey (51 yrs)