2000 Txt Air Box Probs

stevenbb4

My son recently got a 2000 txt 280, we are having a bit of a problem with the air box, we think some kind of mud shield /flap could be missing from the top of the air box where it meets the rear guard, on the 2000 bike the air intake is on top of the air box and there is a large gap between the rear guard and the top of air box, as mud/water from the rear wheel hits the mud guard it runs right down on to the air box filling the air box with crap with in 5 minuets, we have been gaffer taping the gap every time we go out and this works fine, but the tape falls off when you jet wash, I rang Gasgas motos at Buxton and they sent me the wider mud flap as used on the pro, but this cant be right because if I stick it to the air box and to the rear guard I would not be able to get the rear guard off with out wrecking the flap and at

We have sold our 200txt and moved on (for an 04 280 pro) but from memory:-

There should be a hard plastic flap that is attached to the back of the air box and extended upwards and fits into a molded plastic slot on the underside of the rear mudguard. It is posible to remove the rear mudgard (either with tools or hard contact with ground) and this flap just pops out the mudguard slot. If a trial was particulary wet we always added a bit of duct tape in this area but nothing permanat.

Have you got a parts list ? If not go to the GASGAS uk site click on technical support and then follow link to Jon Stooley Technical Pages. On this technical page you can download the parts list for a 2001TXT in pdf format which is apart from small details (forks and graphics) basicly the same as a 2000 model.

The flap you require is shown in the plastics section item 9 and is listed as a Shock Absorber Protector. (?) unfortunatly not shown in place.

In practice if this part is missing it would not be to difficault toa make a replacement from a piece of plastic Sheet.

Stuart