Sherco 290 (04) - Ignition Cover

johnnydudeuk

Yes, they will interchange and are reinforced a bit, yet no guarantee they will not leak. Must keep an eye on them for trapping water inside, or drill 3mm hole in bottom to let them drain and vent. :D

Edited by copemech

I've been running the later cover for years, the earlier type has inbuilt stresses due to the sprocket guard & end up distorting at the rear. You can actually see through the gap that forms, getting mud etc packed in front of the sprocket doesn't help either, The later covers have a lip that also sits over the cases a bit as well which combined with the moulded in ribs make them a lot more waterproof. In my opinion it's money well spent when you use the later one

Hi Both,

Thanks for the replies. I was sure I had read this somewhere and guessed that it was on here. For the small price, I'll change it and have the peace of mind and updated looks too.

On another topic, what is a good reading for a compression test? My YZ250 was doing over 200psi when fresh but I'm guessing these are a bit lower.

Edited by JohnnyDudeUK

Something tells me higher, your YZ would have been easier to kick over. From what I understand high compression is actually better for producing bottom end power & actually limits how hard the motor can rev although that may be more of an issue with 4 strokes

Hi Tony,

I was estimating based on the length of the kick start that the YZ would have been higher but I could be wrong. Thanks for the input. Anyone else have a figure from a reading on a new machine or better recently run in machine. I'll get the tester out on mine tomorrow and let you know the reading.

Something tells me higher, your YZ would have been easier to kick over. From what I understand high compression is actually better for producing bottom end power & actually limits how hard the motor can rev although that may be more of an issue with 4 strokes