Suspension

basher

ive got the new 2010 290. and am finding the rear suspension abit lazy for my liking, so was thinking about winding the spring tighter to get abit more bounce.

i just wondered how many people have played with the suspension on theres? or have people found it to be ok and left it as standard.

Hi

I usualy leave mine as standard, But my friend has just been playing around with his rear shock and has found it to be alot better

this is on a 06 290cc sherco rather than a brand new one.

I think all he did was tighten it a bit more before we went out for a practice and he said it deffernatly made a difference.

What do you think to the new 290 as a bike if you don't mind me asking? i have a 250 09 at the mo and lookin into getting a new one and was debating about the 290.

Mike.

i absolutely love it, plenty of power there when you need it, but its not to overly aggresive in feeding the power so ive found there to be bags of grip, in dry dusty conditions, yet to ride it in wet so cant say. the front end has a super light feeling making it manouverable. the only thing im not liking on the new shercos is the gearbox, its crap for selecting gears, susposidly theres something on it to stop false shifts, dont know if thats why, but its really notchy and can be a pain to go between gears in middle of section under pressure.

i personally would go for the 290 over the 250 as theres 50quid in it, and if you can handle a 250 you arnt going to find the 290 trying to pull away from you or feel much in weight difference, plus extra power is always handy.

Yer i had read somewere about the false shift thing in the gear box.

I dont think i will suffer to much from that though i tend to select a gear and stick with it through the section.

Do you know anything about keihans at all??

i had mine set up for my 250cc just wonderd if its hard to change it for the 290cc ?

Back the suspension i would look every now and again on ebay for an ohlins goin cheapish because they are ment to be fantastic

Thanks for the review on the 290

Mike

no i dont know anything about keihans. not sure if you can fit them or how easy they are to set up. but bear in mind the 2010 uses a fuel pump.

yeah ino i heard about the ohlins and have been thinking about it, cant aford a new one at the moment though. ill keep an eye on ebay.

Typally seems you may need to wind up the springs after they break in and settle.

Setting the unloaded sag back up to about 15-20 mm seems to keep things perked up. I think that took about 2-3 turns on the spring ring on my bike when new.

ive got the new 2010 290. and am finding the rear suspension abit lazy for my liking, so was thinking about winding the spring tighter to get abit more bounce.

i just wondered how many people have played with the suspension on theres? or have people found it to be ok and left it as standard.

hi basher,you can adjust the damping on the rear shock on the 2010s if you want to make it quicker turn the screw anti clockwise, gearbox gets better with use , its vital too fit a fuel filter before the pump,,we have 3 of these and find putoline light gear oil works best in gearbox 450 ml.

cheers for that, i thought you might be able to change the dampening and had a quick look when i got the bike but was looking for a nob. have noticed the screw on the bottom now though. but because there tards ill have to take shock of to get to it.