4x4 Transport

1961andypainting

I'm thinking of buying a Toyota Rav 4 (51 reg). I would also like to use this vehicle so that I can transport my Sherco 250 (2008 model) on the back using a standard (DC) trials motorcycle rack which I have used on a previous 4x4. My concern after viewing a Rav 4 was that the spare wheel which is located on the back door seems to protrude a heck of a lot and could well snag the gear shift/LHS of the bike. Does anyone else use a Rav 4 to carry a trials bike in this fashion?

Either throw the spare wheel in the back of the car; or get Dave Cooper's rack with extended arms to give you enough clearance from it. The bike/rack combo moves more, which can be a bit alarming when you look in the mirror, but otherwise it works well on my Honda CRV. DC's standard rack put the bike a touch too close to the spare and I realised that adding in movement as you go down the road meant that the bike was bound to get a bit of damage by jouney's end. I reckoned it was better to lash out on a new rack than arrive at a trial brimming with expectation and find the bike was now unfit to ride.

You can buy aluminium spacers to put behind your towbar from caravan type places, they're about 3/4'' thick, you'll need longer bolts too. 3/4'' doesn't sound much but it did make a difference. I also put an old rear tyre from my bike between the bike and spare car wheel.

• 1 month later...

Prefer the Toyota FJ40, I got a piece of 5mm x 125mm Aluminium channel bolted directly to the rear of the chassis, bike sits high and proud.

6 cylinder 4.2 litre petrol is a bit thirsty tho :agreed:

good luck with the Rav 4,

Kevo