Oil Seal Sprocket Side Casing..

gizgrey

was out playing yesterday in the water,noticed there was a rainbow following me in the water,turns out it was dripping oil,this was fine when playing on dry ground did notice fuel was slightly leaking from tap(new one on way),

anyway got home and stripped off front sprocket to see if i could see any leak there was lots of plastic mess trapped behind the sprocket,did notice this a few weeks ago coz it was wrapped round everything ...

i am hoping the chain oil has been accumulating in this and has washed out when going through water hense the rainbow and dripping oil..

if not i have already ordered a gasket for casing was wondering if its possible to fit this in place or do i have to take off casing looks like it would be total strip down...eeeek...

was out playing yesterday in the water,noticed there was a rainbow following me in the water,turns out it was dripping oil,this was fine when playing on dry ground did notice fuel was slightly leaking from tap(new one on way),

anyway got home and stripped off front sprocket to see if i could see any leak there was lots of plastic mess trapped behind the sprocket,did notice this a few weeks ago coz it was wrapped round everything ...

i am hoping the chain oil has been accumulating in this and has washed out when going through water hense the rainbow and dripping oil..

if not i have already ordered a gasket for casing was wondering if its possible to fit this in place or do i have to take off casing looks like it would be total strip down...eeeek...

I've replaced the countershaft sprocket seal without taking everything apart (just pop off the sprocket and pull off the bushing and o-rings). I think there are 2 o-rings under the bushing, one thinner than the other, and you might want to replace those while you're at it. Just be very careful not to scratch any surface that the seal lip rides on. You can use a large socket to act as a seal driver. Expect the circlip to be a little difficult to install on the countershaft as the o-rings need to be compressed a little. I put the circlip on the end of the shaft and use a socket that just fits over the shaft diameter and tap on the socket to force the circlip down where it will then snap into the groove.

When crud gets behind the sprocket it tends to force fine grit into the seal lip edge, causing premature wear.

Jon