Replacing Fork Oil

swinny

Hi, after replacing fork oil on my mont 315 r (99), thats if there is any in there. Is there an easy way of doing this i.e drain plug at the bottom and fill hole at the top?? sorry if sounds silly question but i have got no idea. cheers matt

You can do it by draining it from the bottom. Get the bike so the front wheel is off the ground, undo the drain plug. You might have to undo the top of the fork to get all the oil out and maybe pump it up and down a bit.

To refill you have to undo the top nut on the fork, to do this you'll have to loosen the upper triple clamp that holds the fork in place. I think its about 360ml per leg on the earlier Paoli forks, not sure about the Showa's from '00 onwards. Have a search on the forum, I think the info is there.

See if you can download a manual from t'internet.Don't know if its the same as a Beta but if it is,drain,refill from top with required amount,compress and replace top-I think if my memory is reliable-remove wheel and its up to ypu if you remove the whole fork or not-i do as it just seems easier.Best to have a look at the manual really.Fairly useful items! :crying:

Showa forks do NOT have a drain at the bottom. I am not 100% sure about Paoli forks, but I remember looking at a service manual for a '99 cota, and if memory serves me right, Paoli forks do not have a drain bolt either. The bolt at the bottom is a damping rod holding bolt, and it is a bad idea to use it as a drain bolt. First of all, you won't be able to drain all the oil this way, especially the nasty grime that accumulates at the bottom of the fork. And if you are unsure about how much oil is left, then how will you know how much fresh oil to add? Secondly, there is a good chance you won't be able to tighten that bolt back to proper torque because you need a damping rod holder to do it right. It is much simpler to remove the forks, unscrew top caps, and drain the oil. Here is a little tip:

step 1: Loosen fork pinch bolts in the top triple clamp, but not in the bottom triple clamp. This makes it easy to loosen fork caps.

step 2: Loosen fork caps, but don't unscrew them completely.

step 3: Loosen fork pinch bolts in the bottom triple clamp and slide out the forks.

Now you can unscrew fork cap completely, turn fork upside down and pump it to drain everything.