Montesa Cota Forks

mrpj6

Hi. I have just joined trials central as i am just starting to give my old cota a make over. Working from the front back, i have encountered my first problem. I have removed the fork legs. But now i am stuck. I cant work out how to separate the 35mm tube from the lower part of the fork leg. Can any one help with this please? I am sure more help will be needed as the project continues. Thanks in advance..... Pete.

Ps. If you could keep it as simple as possible please.

Turn the fork leg upside down and you will see a hex headed nut (not sure what size as I have not done mine for a while) which you must undo to separate the fork. Make sure you drain the oil from the leg first.

Thanks for the reply. Sort of worked it out today, i was undoing that nut on the bottom of the fork but it turned and turned! after some time the penny dropped, long bladed screw driver down the top to locate in the slot to stop it turning. I hope i am ok for a bit more info? not too sure what i am looking for inside. There is a rubber washer/plunged on the bar that is held by the bottom nut, should this be a tight fit in the bore of the fork tube? Its quite slack? not like a bicycle pump, is this right or should it act like a piston? Also, how much oil per fork leg and what sort please. Sorry for all the questions. I have been told there is no manual for this model, is this right? Thanks Pete.

Hi There has to be a manual for the bike. My 247's are mid 70's. What year model is yours? That rubber thingy you are talking about is what keeps the oil from leaking out and when you do that hex nut up should be tight. I have three Montesas ranging in years from those I have mentioned to a late 70's 348 and the insides of the forks all appear to be the same. Let me know the year model and I may be able to help. If I can't, I can point you in the direction of someone that can

This link has been given before but useful to post again?

There is an on line user manual for this bike with exploded parts lists which will be of some use initially.

http://www.todotrial.com/ttclasico/indexttclasico-total.htm?

There is a rather general 'Clymer' manual covering montesas which is often available on ebay for 90p plus post.

there are some pages missing from it though.

Thanks..... I am not too sure of the year. I will try to check it out, i think it is 1975 but not sure. I bought it some time ago and the bloke i bought it from said it was a 75. If you know of a way of telling i will find out? The forks have a black cone shaped bit that is the bit that the nut screws to and stops the oil coming out i think? but there is also a plunger in there that is not a tight fit in the tube. i am not sure if this should just offer resistance or be a tight fit. I will get the fork cleaned up and get it with me so i can describe it better to you. Thanks again. ...... Pete.

There is an on line user manual for this bike with exploded parts lists which will be of some use initially.

There is a rather general 'Clymer' manual covering montesas which is often available on ebay for 90p plus post.

Thanks. A manual is by far the best way to go. If i see this 90p one i will get it. There was a Clymer montesa manual on ebay not too long ago but i dont think it covered my model. It went for about 25 quid!

Hi Pete

Go to southwestmontesa.com and under Model Gallery you will be able to see what year model you have. If you send an email to the owner, Jared Bates, at info@southwestmontesa.com, he will be to advice you what oil to use, quantity ect. In fact he is very helpful and knows all Montesas inside out. His shop in the States only deals in Montesas and has been fiddling with them for over 20 years. His spares are also reasonably priced and if he does not have the parts he knows where to get them. Hope that helps. Manuel

Hi Pete

Go to southwestmontesa.com and under Model Gallery you will be able to see what year model you have. If you send an email to the owner, Jared Bates, at info@southwestmontesa.com, he will be to advice you what oil to use, quantity ect. In fact he is very helpful and knows all Montesas inside out. His shop in the States only deals in Montesas and has been fiddling with them for over 20 years. His spares are also reasonably priced and if he does not have the parts he knows where to get them. Hope that helps. Manuel

Hi Manuel

Thanks for the info, i will check out the southwest site. Sounds like this a good man to know! Thanks again....... Pete.

Hi. I tried to PM you but it said it would not send as your in box was full. also tried to email, but that did not send! All going swimmingly! Is your address .com or .uk? maybe thats it? more likely me i expect.