More Power Needed For Kids Sherco 50cc

madman

hi my sons got the sherco 0.5 50cc polini engined bike can any more power be got out of the engine as my other son on his beta mini trial is whooping him. i was thinking maybe reeds or somthing ive repacked the exhaust but its not made much difference just a tad quiter now. The engine seems to rev quick enough but then sounds like its been strangled when its flat out

Cannot comment on yours, as I am not there to see it run, but can make some general comments.

I have run several of the Sherco 50's and never found them lacking for power. When I originally got one for my son, part of the package was that we would upgrade it to the 70cc kit (which is available for the Polini engine) and after seriously riding it found that it was not needed.

As I tell most folks while trying to diagnose problems on the board,

Start with basics, good fuel? new plug, clean air filter, fresh oil, brakes working correctly, clean carb etc. etc.

I would add, which gear is he riding in?

One other thing, reading your post, try running it on reserve, if that makes a difference modify the fuel petcock per the instructions at www.rypusa.com

Hopefully, you bought from and have a good working relationship with a local dealer. Has he taken a look at it?

It is always helpful to have another similar model bike to compare it against.

In our experience with the Sherco 50, power was never an issue.

Have you had the boys switch bikes?

Can you specify a bit more as to why you are saying it does not have enough power?

thanks for the replies

when the bike is flat out in either gear it pops and bangs. I thaught the bike was fast enough but it just seems like there ought to be more topend. It doesnt do bad on the hills it pulls well but compared to the beta id say its probably 7 - 10 mph slower. The lads have swapped bikes and both think the beta is quicker. I had a look at the reeds and they are perfect the bike ticks over and starts 1st kick so im under the impression that its running its best. I will look at the fuel cock to see its ok.

Definetely should not pop or bang WFO. Those are some screaming little engines, look at what the MX guys turn them through.

As I was playing with ours, we looked at going to the Dominator clutch, and they were asking if I wanted the 5500 or the 6000 engagement point.

Plug, Fuel, Petcock, carb, airfilter, electrics.

That thing in top gear should be fast enough to be scary.

How old / what size (weight) are your kids?

my kids are 8 and 10 they are small build and weigh 70 pounds ish

i checked the pet cock article and took mine appart i wasnt sure if it had been modified so i cut another 6mm off the feed so ill see if thats made any difference at the weekend

• 2 weeks later...

just to let you know guys took the bike out at the weekend and after modding the pet cock the bike seems to have found a new lease of life its a lot faster at the top end and has more pull

thanks Al for bringing it to my attention