Inlet Tract Spacer

gii

Just changed my 03 290 for an 05 290 and I've noticed a metal spacer about 3mm thick between the reed block and the carb boot, is this some kind of restrictor? and if it is, has anyone tried running without it? The last thing I need is more power, but those few mm do make it harder to replace the carb and air box after cleaning

A longer inlet tract will give more power obviously sherco think this if you remove it the carb may need adjusting probably best left alone .the easiest way to get the carb off is to remove mud guard then filter box carb then just comes off :wall:

Gordon, Iv taken the plate out, It makes very little difference. The standard bike has enough power with the plate in and is a touch smoother. The carb/air box doesnt go together easy when they are new but rubbers will give quickly. I put carb on the air box and slide it from back thro frame, seems to be easiest way to make sure rubbers are full round carb.

I'll have a look at that Dabster, My 03 ticked over with the regularity of a diesel, even lying down! This one is very weak and wobbly no matter what you do with the pilot adjustment screw

Dabster - spot on!

Bike has a No 30 pilot jet and No 125 main, D36 Needle

How receptive was your dealer / Rathmells in swapping for the correct No 33 pilot jet?

Still finding the lack of space caused by that plate a problem, tried putting the carb back in whilst mounted on the airbox and managed to remove the outlet from the plastic rear brake fluid reservoir. Never felt a thing, just saw the pipe droop and the carb was tight against the left frame rail. It's all the bodges that get in the way, the carb sits too far back now so you have to push it down to clear the brake fluid reservoir, then whilst wriggling the airbox through the frame you have to get the P Plate in place, pull the rubber flap around the air inlet and get the boot either onto the carb, or if you've left it on the carb, get the airbox to enter the boot cleanly.

What black front pipe?

Dont blame the bike, it is just experience which gets you over these little problems. I put my carb and airbox together frome either side of the frame rail then check alignment/sealing airbox to carb then put into the inlet tract. If you service your bike with it higher up it is easier to see where the carb is in relation to the reservoir. Thinking of moving the rear reservoir or doing away with it and that would make a nice little gap there.

I have broken two choke levers before now trying to get it in. its definately more difficult now the flaps are there. Will post about reservoir.

Hi GII, Guys

I copied this article over from the General forum. It may help shed some light on what the inlet tract or reed spacer is generaly used for.

Not saying this is the case with your bike, just a FYI

Cheers

BillyT

"Here

Edited by BillyT