The Vital Spark

gordeee

Hello guys

First up, what a wonderful thing the forum search facility is..

My problem, no spark, 05 280 Pro, Ducati electrics, not sure which version V1 OR V2?

On Monday, the day before I was going into hospital for a small op, sunny day and all that, I decided as a treat I was going to climb the hill at the back of the house, great...

Bike performed well, great. Got to the top and propped the bike against a deer fence. Took of the helmet, took a seat for 20 minutes.

Went to start the bike and no go, I thought I had flooded it at first and took another 15 minutes to take in the scenery.

Tried kicking it over again, no joy. I thought my best plan was to take the easy route back down and pushed the bike back to the house.

I removed the plug and detected no spark. Time to call it a day as I had also lost one of the serrated clasps from my new boots on some heavy fearns on the way down... :D

With some time to ponder the search topics on this problem, I felt it all the way with Shetland Steve and his tribulations and also taking onboard Bigfoots regulator fault and recommendations.

Anyway, I have tried checking all wiring and earths, which seem sound. I've tried three spark plugs, cut 15mm off the HT lead. I have not changed the cap as yet as the spare ones I have here don't seem to fit the top of the NGK BPR5EIX plug.

The cdi unit and regulator are only placed inside the headstock, not fixed to frame or anything, I've tried kicking it over with cdi and regulator well away from the frame incase of a short. The regulator had gaffer tape wrapped round it but when I removed the tape the resin looks okay with no cracks.

I had the flywheel cover off today and rubbed some very fine emery paper over what I think is the pick up followed by some compressed air. Still nothing.

I've ordered a flywheel puller and HT cap today. I believe my next move should be to do as Bigfoot did and get a cdi and regulator here and take it from there.

I wondered if the regulator unit itself should be earthed?

Anything else I can try in the meantime with my multimeter? (novice sparky)

Thanks in advance & I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Gordie

Hi Gordeee, electrical problems are the worst, your ignition is different to my Kokusan but i'll try to help where i can.

Hopefully yours is more straight forward to fix than mine was, i had a look on trialspartsusa http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/DUCATIdigital2005.JPG to see if i could find any thing that said what the ohms should be, but there's none there :D

on the diagram it only shows one yellow coming from the stator, so i assume thats your live feed and the stator is earthed through the engine case so i would assume if you set your multimeter to ac volts ~: and connect one to the yellow and the other to earth and kick her over you should get between 10-45 volts which would indicate that was operating properly.

if you set the multimeter to ohms and check the Green and White coming from the pick up that would give you an indication of what it's doing.

Fortunately i was told that stator's and, or pick ups very rarely fail on the gas gas . I was just unlucky.

I wish you had Kokusan ignition then i could help alot more as unfortunately the ducati appears to be a different set up.

I won't go on about West country windings as there not much use in my book, But Steve Hardaker from Bradford ignitions in Spain http://www.uk-motoplat.com/ is an absolute genious when it comes to stators etc.

If your getting no where with your cdi then defiantly give him a call, could save alot of head scratching, and he's a really nice guy to talk to as well.

I really hope you get it sorted soon though

Steve

Edited by steve1979

Hi Gordeee, yes my kokusan is a bit more simple to work on. It's a job trying to get the ohms readings that your looking for especially if you doubt what your doing to get them.

Steve is probably your best bet to point you in the right direction.

When i called WCW they told me to test my stator with AC volts and he said i should be getting at least 10v when kicking over, when i kicked mine over i was getting between 30-37v after the rewind i thought that was maybe excessive but when i referred to a motocross and off road handbook written by Eric Gorr state's

Quote from the book "The output of the generating coil can be tested with a multi-meter set to AC volts. At the average Kick-starting speed (spark plug removed ), the AC voltage output of the generating coil should be at least 45 volts." so if yours has been showing only 7-9 that may be your problem there.

In any case i'm sure Steve will point you in the right direction. Good luck

Steve

Edited by steve1979

Hi Steve,

I called Dave at Bradford Ignitions yesterday, as you mentioned he is most helpful. I gave him the ohms readings that I had taken and he assured me that the stator was okay.

He suggested that I call Andy at Gas Gas for his opinion, Andy recommended that I take the pick-up apart and give it a good clean, I did this and it was indeed very grubby inside but still no joy.

I now have a new voltage regulator & plug on it's way, so fingers crossed.

The Ducati voltage regulator I have has a blue socket, this unit has been superseded with one with a black waterproof socket and will require a new plug to be connected to the existing wiring.

I'll let you know how I get on.... :D

Gordie

Hi Gordie,

thats a relief your stator's in good order :DB) , Here's hoping you'll get her sorted shortly. I've been plagued with little snags lately, getting there though, New water pump parts on the way for me and hopefully get out on her at the weekend.

Best of luck mate :D

Keep us posted

Hi Steve,

Quick update, new voltage regulator & plug arrived today. Took my time and soldered all the cable ends, then crimped them onto the new terminals of the plug.

Connected everything up and still no spark... :thumbup:

Called Andy this afternoon and a new Cdi/coil should be here on Friday, fingers & toes crossed now!

Gordie

Hi Steve,

I'm delighted to say after fitting the new Cdi coil pack the spark has returned and it's a good one at that :thumbup:

The bike now starts very well cold or hot, I've also noticed starting easier, often in mid stroke.

Many thanks for your advice

Gordie