Flywheel Puller

bee

I haven't opened her up yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew if I need to purchase a bike specific (2001-290) flywheel puller, or if one of my buddies pullers will work. I'd like to check the timing on my bike because she seems to get hot. (bike is new to me) After riding a while, she pings when I whack the throttle, and I also checked the plug and it's got a very light color glaze on the insulator.

Thanks,

Brian

Yep, on the '01 model with ducati ignition as I recall there is a 2mm or so alignment pin hole that fits through the rotor and into the stator., then ch the marks on the case and rotor.

They were set fairly advanced(aggressive) and many ewre set back, yet setting back too far is not good. No more than about 6mm on the plate would be about right, which could tranlate to 8mm or so on the outer edge of the rotor. More common would be in the middle of that range or back to the factory marks.. :thumbup:

Always check the basics! The hose clamp to the reed cage was loose and actually hanging. I'm going to replace it and see if that might have been the problem. The carb checked out fine, and I think the timing will be all set. Live and learn!

~B