Kick Start Shaft Install

experiment70

I broke the kick start gear in my '07 300 Pro, and am having a miserable time getting it back together. I found the technical bulletin about indexing (www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Pro_Technical_Bulletin_June_8_2010.doc), and have the shaft itself back together. The problem is getting the shaft back into the cases. I have watched Jim Snell rotate the assembly one time counter clock wise (www.youtube.com/watch?v=A80n7zq80n8) and drop it in, but I can't do what he does; I keep getting the spring caught behind the whole assembly, which doesn't allow me to fit the shaft into the blind hole it's supposed to rotate in. When I swear loudly and take everything back out, I can see that the spring has actually bent at the long straight section that fits into the case. What am I doing wrong? I really want to ride this weekend, and I'm getting frustrated. Thanks in advance for any help,

Forrest

Been there! Done That! You're not necessarily doing anything wrong. It can be a right fiddle and needs lots of patience. Watching Jim Snell make it look so effortless just makes it worse! Keep calm and carry on. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement. Any tips for keeping that spring from getting stuck between the case and that aluminum top hat piece? And any tips for increasing my patience? It's running low...

Forrest