overheating 315r

serious3

had my first trial today on my 1998 315r its run lovely all year but bugger me didnt it overheat today :angry: spotted it very quick so dont think any damage done thing is is there a thermostat on the engine or is it just the thermostatic switch assy shown in the parts book? i'm thinking its this that has failed as the fan wasnt running. is there a fuse some where for the fan assy? fan still spins freely by hand so i presume its still ok. thanks vince

The switch is just a little sensor that screws in to your rad you can test it by diping the sensor in to boiling water if the fan does not come on then its the fan or the switch then you could try hard wireing your fan in to see if it is just the switch. i would personaly just get a new switch and try that 1st.

Thermostatic switch is in the radiator. It controls electrical current to the fan. It is the only thermostat-type device on this bike.

There is an electrolytic capacitor which is part of rectifier circuit that makes the fan run. It is physically located in a rubber housing next to CDI box. If that capacitor is bad, or connection is bad, then the fan won't run.

Troubleshooting procedure: unplug wires from thermostat and short them together. Fire up engine, and fan should immediately run. If it runs then thermostat is the problem. If it doesn't run then have a close look at the capacitor, and then the rectifier.

Good luck.

Thermostatic switch is in the radiator. It controls electrical current to the fan. It is the only thermostat-type device on this bike.

There is an electrolytic capacitor which is part of rectifier circuit that makes the fan run. It is physically located in a rubber housing next to CDI box. If that capacitor is bad, or connection is bad, then the fan won't run.

Troubleshooting procedure: unplug wires from thermostat and short them together. Fire up engine, and fan should immediately run. If it runs then thermostat is the problem. If it doesn't run then have a close look at the capacitor, and then the rectifier.

Good luck.

just what i needed will have alook tommorrow and let you know how i get on!! thanks fastducs!!!